STARLINGS

All your bird talk in here
Willpar
Posts: 4310
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 5:24 pm

Re: STARLINGS

Post by Willpar » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:13 pm

More than likely butterfly. Not seen any late ones here yet.

User avatar
Butterfly
Posts: 893
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:45 am

Re: STARLINGS

Post by Butterfly » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:42 pm

Willpar wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:13 pm
More than likely butterfly. Not seen any late ones here yet.
My starlings are a bit ahead of yours I think :laugh:

User avatar
Jacksparrow
Moderator
Posts: 4625
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: STARLINGS

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:47 pm

I have to say my Sturklet experience this year was a short lived affair with less attendees than normal. I find that a little concerning.

User avatar
Butterfly
Posts: 893
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:45 am

Re: STARLINGS

Post by Butterfly » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:58 am

Jacksparrow wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:47 pm
I have to say my Sturklet experience this year was a short lived affair with less attendees than normal. I find that a little concerning.
That's a shame Jack, and it is concerning :( . I must say I had more Sturklets this year than the last, but last year was the first in this property so the feeders were not established, maybe that's why :shrug:

Willpar
Posts: 4310
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 5:24 pm

Re: STARLINGS

Post by Willpar » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:42 pm

I think my sturklet numbers are quite stable, with quite a lot of them.

User avatar
Jacksparrow
Moderator
Posts: 4625
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: STARLINGS

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:49 pm

It's reassuring to hear others have had good years which leaves me all the more puzzled as to why this year was a damp squib for Sturklets :shrug:

User avatar
Butterfly
Posts: 893
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:45 am

Re: STARLINGS

Post by Butterfly » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:15 am

Jacksparrow wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:49 pm
It's reassuring to hear others have had good years which leaves me all the more puzzled as to why this year was a damp squib for Sturklets :shrug:
Could be few reasons Jack, maybe the clutches were lost due to a new and successful predator in the area? I mean most of the time if one parent is killed the clutch is either lost or greatly reduced because one parent can't cope with feeding the nestlings alone. Could be many more reasons :shrug:
Shame though :(
My starlings are still going strong , we have a new screaming fledgling around :flying: , its only one or two but boy are they loud :D

User avatar
Jacksparrow
Moderator
Posts: 4625
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: STARLINGS

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:49 pm

After complaining about the lack of Sturklets recently my garden has suddenly become a hotspot for them. I think partly because of the bathing facilities but there has been an audible presence most of the time. I think I am benefitting from some late broods.

User avatar
Butterfly
Posts: 893
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:45 am

Re: STARLINGS

Post by Butterfly » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:11 pm

Jacksparrow wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:49 pm
After complaining about the lack of Sturklets recently my garden has suddenly become a hotspot for them. I think partly because of the bathing facilities but there has been an audible presence most of the time. I think I am benefitting from some late broods.
I think you are having late broods alright :laugh: , they seem to have late broods this year anyway, even when they've had early one (big one in my case) they keep having odd late fledglings :shrug: . But that's a good news Jack :clap:

Willpar
Posts: 4310
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 5:24 pm

Re: STARLINGS

Post by Willpar » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:54 am

Good to hear JS. Mine are thinning out a little. Probably due to the fact they have gotten used to the feeding arrangements. Just three times a day.

Post Reply