PIED WAGTAILS

All your bird talk in here
Willpar

Re: PIED WAGTAILS

Post by Willpar » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:17 pm

Here you go Placi.
Not quite a partridge in a pear tree, but I reckon this will do. The other was farther in the tree out of view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIDAmtcx3Zo

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:18 pm

:laugh: :clap: : And a waa-agtail in a pear treeeeee !!
That's a First for me, thank you Willpar. Even way up high they flick their tails :) !!

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:35 pm

Awww they are super cute :clap:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:00 pm

Willpar wrote:Here you go Placi.
Not quite a partridge in a pear tree, but I reckon this will do. The other was farther in the tree out of view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIDAmtcx3Zo
Errrm how did you know it was there?
PS I'm asking for a friend who is too shy to ask themselves :)

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:40 pm

Hi Jacksparrow, I had just got back from a walk through the lanes, and seen the pied wagtail in the tree. The hawthorn in my small plot. So had my camera with me. The other wagtail was farther in, but although I could see it had branches in the way. So I concentrated on the nearer one which had a better view. With zooming in just gets a smaller area. It seems they were attracted to the bits of dry mealworms and maybe suet in the feeder I use for the starlings, which is in the tree, screwed to a post.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:53 pm

Willpar wrote:Hi Jacksparrow, I had just got back from a walk through the lanes, and seen the pied wagtail in the tree. The hawthorn in my small plot. So had my camera with me. The other wagtail was farther in, but although I could see it had branches in the way. So I concentrated on the nearer one which had a better view. With zooming in just gets a smaller area. It seems they were attracted to the bits of dry mealworms and maybe suet in the feeder I use for the starlings, which is in the tree, screwed to a post.
Thank you Willpar for the elucidation. I will tell my shy friend :nod:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:03 pm

no problem Jacksparrow, sometimes I am as clear as mud.

Anyways, I hit on an idea today. As the pied wagtails took a shine to the feeder in the hawthorn, I roughly ground up some dried mealworms and put on the tray. The thinking was the pieces would be too small for the starlings but ok for the pied wagtails. Worked to a degree. The starlings did manage to eat some of the bits, but the wagtails were eating the bits also. Still gave them live mealworms. But at least now I know when I am out and about, there will be food available. Magpie and starlings eating live mealworms today. I have to stay out there to make sure the wagtails get some.

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:50 am

Amazing the things we do for our fevvered friends. Very good idea, Willpar :nod:.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:52 pm

Thats really good Willpar :clap: , but what do you mean when you say: "Magpie and starlings eating live mealworms today. I have to stay out there to make sure the wagtails get some." :unsure:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:32 pm

Butterfly, I feed the wagtails live mealworms in the carpark outside my front door. Just throw them out to them when they show up. Starlings and a magpie have got wise to this and lay in wait for when I go back in. In the past it was a rook waiting on the roof. So now I don't throw out so many but just hang around a bit to make sure they have a few each to eat. The carpark is quite open so the wagtails will see any cats also, which there are a few around here.