MAGPIES

All your bird talk in here
Jacksparrow

Re: MAGPIES

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:51 pm

It turns out there are two fledgling Magpies in my garden. Today was the first time I saw them both at the same time :) One kindly consented to having it's photo taken.
49971166501_a9880eab5d_k.jpg

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:57 am

:blackbird: :blackbird: !! Congratulations - if you want them, Jacksparrow :unsure:.
Interesting to observe anyway.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:50 pm

The parents and one sibling have departed to do whatever magpies do at this time of year but the other sibling has remained. It spends ages in the upper boughs of the Rowan chuckling and cackling accompanied by a whole range of other sound effects. I have yet to establish what it is trying to achieve as it seems undeterred by my presence or anyone else. It does pop down for the occasional drink from the bird bath but apart from that :shrug:

Placido

Post by Placido » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:48 am

You could teach Junior to speak, Jacksparrow. Really ... :nod:
All the rage in the Miggle Ages.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:57 pm

Placido wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:48 am
You could teach Junior to speak, Jacksparrow. Really ... :nod:
All the rage in the Miggle Ages.
It already thinks I speak Magpie. Unfortunately I've mislaid the phrase book. :rolleyes:

Placido

Post by Placido » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:28 am

You have some work to do with this one, Jacksparrow :nod:. Robins are easier.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:18 am

I observed a strange behaviour from one of the magpies today. I went out to put the food out for the birds, and s/he landed on the wall and than on the ground near me, and than went under the shrub. I was surprised because it could clearly see me :eek: . It stayed on the ground under the shrub all the time while I was around. I could hardly see it, it looked as it was trying to hide, but it was there. Even when I threw some suet pellets under that shrub, which always flashes any birds in it :laugh: , it still stayed there, not moving. I started to think it was injured :eek: . Didn't want to make it panic and injure him/herself trying to flee the shrub so I left him/her there and went inside for a while. After about 10 minutes, I went out to check on him/her and there was no one there!
So now I think it was just trying to stay under the radar and be the first to get some food, thinking that just the fact that its in the shrub that makes him/her invisible :rolleyes: . Silly bird :laugh:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:54 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:18 am
I observed a strange behaviour from one of the magpies today. I went out to put the food out for the birds, and s/he landed on the wall and than on the ground near me, and than went under the shrub. I was surprised because it could clearly see me :eek: . It stayed on the ground under the shrub all the time while I was around. I could hardly see it, it looked as it was trying to hide, but it was there. Even when I threw some suet pellets under that shrub, which always flashes any birds in it :laugh: , it still stayed there, not moving. I started to think it was injured :eek: . Didn't want to make it panic and injure him/herself trying to flee the shrub so I left him/her there and went inside for a while. After about 10 minutes, I went out to check on him/her and there was no one there!
So now I think it was just trying to stay under the radar and be the first to get some food, thinking that just the fact that its in the shrub that makes him/her invisible :rolleyes: . Silly bird :laugh:
Maybe it was just seeking some shade on what was a very hot day :shrug:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:59 pm

It could be, but it was definitely being extremely brave to stay put while I'm moving around :shrug:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:25 am

And again today, while I was in the garden, my magpie was hiding under the spotted laurel shrub :eek: . I didn't even see it but heard the leaves moving, and I thought it might be a cat hiding, but when I looked closer (and I was right next to it) I saw a magpie :faint: . I'm convinced now that its a tactic "hide somewhere close and grab the food as soon as she moves away before anyone else can" :laugh: . Its so bizarre :nod: