MAGPIES

All your bird talk in here
Jacksparrow

Re: MAGPIES

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:24 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:25 am
And again today, while I was in the garden, my magpie was hiding under the spotted laurel shrub :eek: . I didn't even see it but heard the leaves moving, and I thought it might be a cat hiding, but when I looked closer (and I was right next to it) I saw a magpie :faint: . I'm convinced now that its a tactic "hide somewhere close and grab the food as soon as she moves away before anyone else can" :laugh: . Its so bizarre :nod:
Along with all of the crow family Magpies are clever birds. They soon get to know a routine and those who are part of that routine. Your assumption may well be correct but as they are one of the largest of our garden visitors they could rock up at any time and bully the others away from the food.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:04 am

The odd maggie saga continues :nod: . I looked out the window the other day, and I saw the same magpie sleeping on top of the bird table, in the middle of the day, head tucked under the wing and all :eek:
I've been seeing him around and his behaviour is really odd. He is a bit slow in everything, getting to food, eating etc., but he is fine flying. I give my birds food leftovers, and when they see it they rush to inspect it (there has never been something they don't like :rolleyes: ) , and he always comes last. And when he takes a piece he always takes it under the bush to eat it, very slowly.
I'm starting to think he is not sick or injured, but just an old guy :hug2:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:45 pm

Could well be right.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:16 pm

I would agree with Butterfly's assessment. It's an old bird making the best of what day's it has left. :nod:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:45 pm

Are you still seeing the magpie, butterfly?

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:57 pm

Willpar wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:45 pm
Are you still seeing the magpie, butterfly?
Funny you should ask that Willpar, I haven't seen him today, which is unusual because he is usually around even when others go places. Lets see if he turns up tomorrow :unsure:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:29 pm

The old guy turned up for breakfast 😊, and than later picked a sunny spot to lie down and have some rest, alone while all others are on their magpie errands, something he does a lot. I will call him Jude, since I don't know if he is a he or a she :unsure: , Jude can be either :D

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:55 pm

Good that it has somewhere to go and have a bite to eat and some rest.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:03 am

I think the old guy has passed away :( . I haven't seen him for days now, and being slow and weak he used to hang around my garden and always found a nice spot to get some rest, instead going with the rest of the group. He wouldn't just go somewhere else.
I can only hope that my garden gave him some comfort in his last days and he crossed over with a full crop.
RIP Jude , you'll be missed :(

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:37 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:03 am
I think the old guy has passed away :( . I haven't seen him for days now, and being slow and weak he used to hang around my garden and always found a nice spot to get some rest, instead going with the rest of the group. He wouldn't just go somewhere else.
I can only hope that my garden gave him some comfort in his last days and he crossed over with a full crop.
RIP Jude , you'll be missed :(
:weep: :sadbanana: