All your bird talk in here
Placido

Re: SPARROWHAWK

Post by Placido » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:20 pm

What a day, Willpar - :clap:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:39 pm

Certainly was placi. Hope it never got a sparrow, but don't think it did.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:54 pm

I had a visit from A Sprawk today. As I was emerging from the house into the back garden this morning it had just grabbed one of my Blackbirds. It saw me and flew with it's victim into next doors garden. I have series of photos showing what then followed but the site system has declared that the files are too big :(
I think the actual kill did not occur until after about 25 minutes of plucking it was then another 35 minuted before it departed leaving nothing but loads of black feathers in a gruesome pile.
The Sprawk itself was a first winter female going by it's size and colouring.

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:26 am

Oh gawd, that's terrible :eek: :(.
"Nature red in tooth and claw" - Tennyson.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:41 pm

Always thought that birds of prey despatched their quarry more efficiently than that.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:11 pm

Willpar wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:41 pm
Always thought that birds of prey despatched their quarry more efficiently than that.
So did I willpar until fairly recently. I watched a little while back when a Sprawk took a Starling and the victims fight went on for some time. :(

Placido

Post by Placido » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:07 pm

For 3 days now a sprawk has decided around lunchtime to sit in the silver birch until I shoo him off - sorry to the purists, but I do. I'm all on the side that sprawks must eat too but not from the little mob I have patiently built up over the years, generation to generation.
Aaaanyway, today it was sitting on the fence to the side of the tree facing outwards but, when I rattled the back door handle, it swung its head round to follow the sound.
I've never seen such a russety coloured male. The rufous colouration of his breast was quite bright. Made rather an impression.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:04 pm

Placido wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:07 pm
For 3 days now a sprawk has decided around lunchtime to sit in the silver birch until I shoo him off - sorry to the purists, but I do. I'm all on the side that sprawks must eat too but not from the little mob I have patiently built up over the years, generation to generation.
Aaaanyway, today it was sitting on the fence to the side of the tree facing outwards but, when I rattled the back door handle, it swung its head round to follow the sound.
I've never seen such a russety coloured male. The rufous colouration of his breast was quite bright. Made rather an impression.
Getting towards the breeding season. Got to look good for the girls. :nod:

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:26 pm

He made a kill today. I noticed him on the ground at 1.50 pm under a pyrawotsit, his head going up and down as he ate. It was too gloomy a day to see what he had killed but he really went to town.
Fetched the binocs and watched him (well, half of him anyway between the branches) for half an hour. He was still there at 3 pm, resting then eating again.
I think he must have been very hungry 'cos he really gorged. For the feast to last that long I think the prey must have been at least a blackbird.
Wonder whether sprawks eat ferals ?!?!?!

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:42 pm

Placido wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:26 pm
He made a kill today. I noticed him on the ground at 1.50 pm under a pyrawotsit, his head going up and down as he ate. It was too gloomy a day to see what he had killed but he really went to town.
Fetched the binocs and watched him (well, half of him anyway between the branches) for half an hour. He was still there at 3 pm, resting then eating again.
I think he must have been very hungry 'cos he really gorged. For the feast to last that long I think the prey must have been at least a blackbird.
Wonder whether sprawks eat ferals ?!?!?!
Only the female is big enough to take down a feral pigeon. Personally I have only ever witnessed one taking a Collared Dove in the chateau garden. Feathers were strewn everywhere including into the ponds then it was disturbed by an external noise leaving me to clear up the debris. :(