BLACKBIRDS

All your bird talk in here
Jacksparrow

Re: BLACKBIRDS

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:05 pm

My next door neighbour has a good sized holly bush in his front garden. 4 weeks ago it was a real picture loaded with bright red berries. It was about then I noticed the Blackbirds were giving it some attention :blackbird: Today there is not one berry to be seen. If anyone had thoughts of creating a Christmassy display they will be very disappointed. :weep:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:10 pm

Usually by this time of the year I am hosting at least 4 blackbirds :blackbird: :blackbird: :blackbird: :blackbird: At present I'm having to settle for 50% of that and even then not all of the time. I know that in most winters large numbers of BBs make their way from mainland Europe to enjoy our milder climate. They either haven't arrived this year or have headed south instead. :(

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:21 am

Jacksparrow wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:10 pm
Usually by this time of the year I am hosting at least 4 blackbirds :blackbird: :blackbird: :blackbird: :blackbird: At present I'm having to settle for 50% of that and even then not all of the time. I know that in most winters large numbers of BBs make their way from mainland Europe to enjoy our milder climate. They either haven't arrived this year or have headed south instead. :(
I have the same situation Jack, my blackbirds that used to be regulars in my garden, at least 2 pairs, never came back, or have I've seen any others. Until today, when I saw a female having a snack. Beautiful lady :love: , but only one. Why are blackbirds missing? :(

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:12 pm

Ok they are back :rara: , I saw 3 today! Male had the shiniest feathers imaginable, like black silk, absolutely gorgeous :love: . Helped himself to a few mealworms :nod:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:19 pm

That is good butterfly, they are lovely birds. Yesterday i was watching a male pecking at the fatballs hanging in the tree. Did not move for quite a while.

peregrine

Post by peregrine » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:44 am

DSC01337.JPG
I have two or three Blackbirds that come into feed. Like the one above they usually feed on the ground. However recently they have taken to feeding on the bird table.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:45 pm

He is a handsome fella. Been getting one or two lately, but can`t compete with the starlings.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:57 pm

Blackbirds are first and foremost ground feeders as we all know. In the past I have had one that could feed from the hanging seed feeders but it was accompanied with much flapping of wings and I'm not sure the reward justified the effort. One of my female BBs has now found out how to feed off the hanging fat block feeder. I have seen her on it a couple of times today and there are signs of her efforts on the block of fat'
Because the ground is getting hard and BBs like to dig up worms etc. I'm thinking she is managing as best she can.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:14 pm

One of the male Blackbirds has now learnt how to use the fat block feeder along with some visiting Starlings. I had to put a new block in this evening as the one that had been in since Chrimbo disappeared over a couple of days :)

peregrine

Post by peregrine » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:00 pm

DSC01579.JPG
Another one of my resident blackbirds - bill not quite as yellow