STARLINGS

All your bird talk in here
Butterfly

Re: STARLINGS

Post by Butterfly » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:12 am

Jacksparrow wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:00 pm
I see most of this year's fledglings have nearly acquired all their spotty plumage. Very smart they look too. :nod:
I love their, at this stage, still brown heads, like awkward looking teens :D :love:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:49 pm

I have a nice little bunch of starlings coming to feed every day, they are outside in the tree sitting, chattering and waiting for breakfast every morning.
However, last few days they don't eat any food, just sit in the tree and sing :scratch: . Everything is the same in the garden, I haven't changed anything, I looked for predators but there is none around. They land on the top of the bird table but than just fly off :unsure:
I just can't work out what's going on! :eek:
Has anyone seen anything like that?
So weird :confused:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:50 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:49 pm
I have a nice little bunch of starlings coming to feed every day, they are outside in the tree sitting, chattering and waiting for breakfast every morning.
However, last few days they don't eat any food, just sit in the tree and sing :scratch: . Everything is the same in the garden, I haven't changed anything, I looked for predators but there is none around. They land on the top of the bird table but than just fly off :unsure:
It's highly unusual for Starlings to visit and not eat. Is there a cat lurking in a place you can't see it I'm wondering?

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:22 pm

Jacksparrow wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:50 pm
Butterfly wrote:
It's highly unusual for Starlings to visit and not eat. Is there a cat lurking in a place you can't see it I'm wondering?
I thought that too Jack, and I keep looking to see if there is a cat around, but I can't see one anywhere near, my garden is not big so I would have seen it. Again tonight, the food has been left uneaten, very bizarre :scratch:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:54 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:22 pm
Jacksparrow wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:50 pm
Butterfly wrote:
I thought that too Jack, and I keep looking to see if there is a cat around, but I can't see one anywhere near, my garden is not big so I would have seen it. Again tonight, the food has been left uneaten, very bizarre :scratch:
I've noticed that birds are very sensitive to any kind of change in their surroundings. You haven't changed your layout so that must mean your neighbours have. It does not take much to spook them sometimes I have swapped one kind of feeder to the same thing by another manufacturer and they have given it a very wide berth for several days. Hang on in there and if the weather takes a turn for the worse I'm sure they'll be back.

peregrine

Post by peregrine » Sun May 30, 2021 12:35 pm

OMG! The peace has been broken - just saw the first Sturkling chick

God Help me!!!

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Mon May 31, 2021 1:01 am

peregrine wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 12:35 pm
OMG! The peace has been broken - just saw the first Sturkling chick

God Help me!!!
Oh dear, you can forget about having a quiet cup of tea/coffee in your garden for a week or two :rofl:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Mon May 31, 2021 10:56 pm

They are a chatty lot.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:06 pm

There was a few new fledglings today, must be a late clutch :dj: .