STARLINGS

All your bird talk in here
Jacksparrow

Re: STARLINGS

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:43 pm

I was trying to do a little work in the back garden today and the din from Sturklets in the neighbouring trees and bushes was almost unbearable. There must have been dozens of them. This of course is very good news and I'll keep on telling myself that. :dj:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:07 pm

Jacksparrow wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:43 pm
I was trying to do a little work in the back garden today and the din from Sturklets in the neighbouring trees and bushes was almost unbearable. There must have been dozens of them. This of course is very good news and I'll keep on telling myself that. :dj:
I keep telling myself that too :laugh: :dj:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:03 pm

I have today re-named the Chateau as the Sturklet Municipal Baths. I have two bird baths and they have reduced them to muddy puddles about once an hour all day. It has all gone quiet now so perhaps I can stand down for a little while. :hot:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:44 pm

I think they read your post complaining that you haven't had many sturklets this year so they decided to make you feel better and they all landed in your garden :laugh:
I was woken up at dawn again this morning by a screaming sturklets, I swear, those little ones didn't stop for hours :hyper: . I gave up trying to go back to sleep and just got up and had a coffee :shrug:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:31 pm

A quieter day today for Sturklets but they did come later in the afternoon. Luckily I was out for a few hours and missed them at their worst. :)

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:16 am

As I was putting the food out, one starling landed on a suet feeder near me and started feeding :eek: . After having a nice meal, while I just stood there, s/he decided to land even nearer me on a bird table, looking at me :faint: . It was a super special feeling! This happened few times. I might be totally wrong but it makes me think that might be the one I saved from a magpie, the one I took inside and wrapped in a towel :) . I'd like to think that anyway :D

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:21 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:16 am
As I was putting the food out, one starling landed on a suet feeder near me and started feeding :eek: . After having a nice meal, while I just stood there, s/he decided to land even nearer me on a bird table, looking at me :faint: . It was a super special feeling! This happened few times. I might be totally wrong but it makes me think that might be the one I saved from a magpie, the one I took inside and wrapped in a towel :) . I'd like to think that anyway :D
It always gives a good feeling when a bird decides you are a friend rather than a threat :nod: . I have never had a Starling that trusted me but I currently have at least two Blackbirds who are happy to share my space. :blackbird: :grouphug:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:02 am

Jacksparrow wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:21 pm
Butterfly wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:16 am
It always gives a good feeling when a bird decides you are a friend rather than a threat :nod: . I have never had a Starling that trusted me but I currently have at least two Blackbirds who are happy to share my space. :blackbird: :grouphug:
How lovely 😍, it is such a special feeling when a wild bird/animal gives us a little trust, considering how awful humans can be towards them.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:55 pm

For the last few evening I have been able to enjoy a mini "murmuration" from my back patio. The main flock looks to be about 200 birds while other smaller flocks do their own aerobatics in the same vicinity and occasionally merging. I have not seen this in previous years and I have no idea where they will come down to roost. The river is not far away so I'm assuming there is a hands bed of rushes to accommodate them all. :)

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:21 pm

Nice to see JS, have never seen it myself, apart from on the tv.