Corvids

All your bird talk in here
Butterfly

Re: Corvids

Post by Butterfly » Wed May 26, 2021 11:18 am

Magpie chicks from the nest across the road from me have fledged :flying: . Little blighters are all over the place, landing everywhere and squeeing all the time harassing parents, totally clueless :rolleyes:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed May 26, 2021 8:12 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 11:18 am
Magpie chicks from the nest across the road from me have fledged :flying: . Little blighters are all over the place, landing everywhere and squeeing all the time harassing parents, totally clueless :rolleyes:
Oh no :( That means the ones that come to my garden won't be long. Last year they hung around till nearly Chrimbo.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Wed May 26, 2021 9:24 pm

Jacksparrow wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 8:12 pm
Butterfly wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 11:18 am
Oh no :( That means the ones that come to my garden won't be long. Last year they hung around till nearly Chrimbo.
No they won't be long Jack, get ready for their arrival :nod:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Fri May 28, 2021 9:16 pm

Have had one coming in and taking food away.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Mon May 31, 2021 11:32 am

One of the magpie fledglings was killed on the road yesterday, and when I was driving by I saw the sibling trying to wake it up, making those clicking noises and putting itself in the danger of getting run over too. It was so heartbreaking to see 😢

On a lighter note, I have 2 crows visiting my garden now, taking beakfull of suet away. I think there is going to be more fledglings soon, this time little crows :D

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Mon May 31, 2021 10:52 pm

Shame about the magpie, butterfly. Little crows, would be nice to see.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:16 pm

The two little blighters, magpie siblings have been hanging around my garden, hopping around, taking baths, learning how to eat different food (they seem to think that dunking everything in bird bath is a good idea :rolleyes: ), while all other birds just ignore them or in case of woodies, shove them around :eek: , and they have been entertaining to watch. However, I heard one of them scream yesterday, went out to look and saw an adult magpie attacking them viciously :jawdrop: . I chased them off and forgot about it. The attack happened again today, and few times. There was few adults involved, I think parents were trying to defend them while others were attacking, was hard to tell in the mayhem :scratch: . Later on, I saw one of the young ones with quite a few feathers missing form his/her head :(
I have no idea what that was about, but it must be something to do with territory I guess :shrug: I felt sorry for the little ones, they are still very small :(

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:45 pm

You seem to have a magpie turf war happening in your garden with the fledglings innocently caught up in the middle. If it continues I fear for their safety. On a brighter note I noticed the two fledglings I hosted last year insisted on dunking nearly all their food. It did tend to pollute the bird bath water but most of the other users carried on regardless. :nod:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:41 pm

You might be right Jack, it did/does look like a turf war between magpies, and it went on again today, but only once. The little ones are still in my garden and still ok, hopefully they stay that way 🙏. I do shoo off adults from my garden, hoping that at least they have one safe(ish) spot.
Regarding dunking food, I saw adults do it in the past, but only with mealworm (if its not soaked before) to make it softer. It might be that the little ones are being thought but are not up to scratch as to what to dunk in the bird bath :laugh:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu May 11, 2023 7:41 pm

I am a getting a good deal of Jackdaw activity in the garden at present. The fatballs are disappearing like snow in August and they appear every time some new food is put out. I think they are feeding chicks and their nest is in a chimney about 6 doors away.