ROBINS

All your bird talk in here
Jacksparrow

Re: ROBINS

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:30 pm

Top marks to your friend for the photos.
I have never tried to train a Robin for two reasons. I am really not in possession of the amount of patience required and secondly I'm not sure giving a wild bird that much trust in a human is a good thing.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:11 pm

Fantastic photos Kev :photo: . I've never managed to train my robins at all, the best I can hope for is that they don't run for their lives when they see me :shrug:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:47 pm

:wife: :bolt:
Butterfly wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:11 pm
Fantastic photos Kev :photo: . I've never managed to train my robins at all, the best I can hope for is that they don't run for their lives when they see me :shrug:
:wife: :bolt: :sofa: Yep! I think you're correct
:nod:

Kev
Site Admin

Post by Kev » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:24 am

I think you need to sit out in the garden for a reasonable time so they get used to you being there and throw food at ever shortening distances and eventually they'll gain the trust. Robin's are especially brave. I have a friend who gardens a lot and the robin will come down and pretty much sit and watch her turning over the soil and go in for the worms as they come up nice and fresh!

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:58 pm

Kev wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:24 am
I think you need to sit out in the garden for a reasonable time so they get used to you being there and throw food at ever shortening distances and eventually they'll gain the trust. Robin's are especially brave. I have a friend who gardens a lot and the robin will come down and pretty much sit and watch her turning over the soil and go in for the worms as they come up nice and fresh!
The first house I ever rented had a Robin that was fearless. He didn't know me but nevertheless decided that if I was digging in the garden his presence was required. I never fed him by hand as he was more than ready to help himself if a worm appeared.

Placido

Post by Placido » Sun May 03, 2020 5:08 pm

2 (that's T-W-O) robins having a communal baffie this afternoon, thereby saving water !!
Wonderful exhibition of togetherness :raindance: :raindance:. Much enjoyment very plain to see.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Sun May 03, 2020 7:25 pm

Lovely to see placi.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun May 03, 2020 8:36 pm

Two Robins sharing a bath. I knew they became more tolerant during the mating season with the opposite sex so I'm assuming the shared ablutions was the forerunner to something ..ahem a little more interesting :love:

Placido

Post by Placido » Mon May 04, 2020 7:47 am

And there was me just assuming it was 2 lively social consciences :rolleyes:

Actually, you could be right, Jacksparrow - May would be spot on for robins' second brooding. If the first was a success I haven't seen any evidence of it. Not a single young robin have I seen this season ...... yet.

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue May 26, 2020 5:00 pm

Two baby robins arrived today :tampoline: :tampoline:. Don't know to whom they belong but no-one seems to own them :shrug:. Anyway, they can play with the two baby dunnocks.
The robins seem to be quite at home and I've seen them a few times during the course of the day, so that's nice :D