WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

All your bird talk in here
Jacksparrow

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:31 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:42 pm
I heard a piercing sound of red kite above me while in the garden today, and when I looked up I saw a red kite chasing a crow :eek: ! The chase went on for few minutes and at one point I thought that the red kite grabbed it, or at least made contact, it was that close :eek: I couldn't believe my eyes, never seen a scene like that before. The crow must have been .... well a crow :laugh: , and got close to their nest or something, but sure did something to piss red kite off that's for sure :laugh: . Had a lucky escape too :nod:
I have seen on several occasions Crows harassing birds of prey but they are usually mob handed. Maybe this Crow decided to tackle the RK without back-up and came off worse.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:13 pm

The small tree on my neighbours property drops all kinds of detritus over the year on my drive most which I rake up . However there is always some which I miss and this ,apparently, is just right for a Jackdaw's nest as I had three of them grabbing beakfuls and flying off in different directions.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:26 pm

Cant beat a good bit of recycling.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:23 pm

I had two female Blackbirds collecting moss from one of my ponds which I'm thinking is for nest lining.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:10 pm

Nice to see jacksparrow, having said that, i seen a robin in the lanes doing the same thing this morning.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:55 pm

Myself and Mrs JS were leaving home for our Monday walk and I noticed as I locked the door a bird was hunkered down under some foliage in the flower bed. It was a female Blackbird. I was only a few feet away but she didn't fly or even attempt to fly. She was looking fairly alert so I decided to keep away and see if she was still there when we returned to the house. On our return she had gone which was a relief. I think the reason was she'd flown into the dining room window and had been slightly stunned. A brief rest to recover her senses had done the trick. :) :blackbird:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:58 pm

I am happy to report that I have a small group of sparrows visiting my garden these days :D , never had sparrows before.
Here are a couple of them, just chilling :) Sorry for pic quality, its very awkward to take pictures without scaring the birds.

There is also a small group of goldfinches, I managed to picture only one on the feeder

I never realised they can be so loud :laugh: , gorgeous little birds though :)

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:08 pm

Great visitors to have Butterfly.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:00 pm

Sparrows are delightful little visitors. I have always had some so I rather take them for granted while forgetting in some areas they are quite scarce.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:10 pm

A male Blackcap on the bird bath.