WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

All your bird talk in here
Willpar

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Post by Willpar » Sun May 09, 2021 5:47 pm

Two fledgling starlings in my garden this afternoon. Not good flyers as they were on the ground. Cats will be lurking no doubt.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sun May 09, 2021 11:04 pm

It always starts with one or two, and the next thing you know there is 20 of them :laugh: . My starling fledglings have discovered a bird bath, which makes them totally not able to fly as their feathers are not properly oiled yet, its stressful :hyper: . There was no casualties today, but that's because I kept shooing off that damn magpie :grumpy: . They do grow fast, and learn fast, so I'm hoping I can help them a little until they are quick and alert and can escape, than the magpies wont bother targeting them :nod: . Most of them are able to self feed now, only few are still chasing parents for food :)

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Tue May 11, 2021 5:21 pm

Been an explosion of fledgling starlings here also. Some seem to like staying on the ground, not good with cats around. Same here butterfly, they like having their bath, which makes them slow flyers.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Tue May 11, 2021 7:34 pm

Willpar wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:21 pm
they like having their bath, which makes them slow flyers.
I believe I read somewhere that they bath so much and very often because it helps them get their feathers oiled up and conditioned, so they fly easier.
Happy to report that I believe we are over that screaming phase here :D , thank you Lord! Apart from occasional "I want my Mum" screams, they are all self feeding, having lots of baths and preening in their favourite shrub, quiet as a mouse :clap: . And I dare to think that magpie attacks have stopped too, at least there was not one today. Little ones are getting quicker and they learned to watch out for them, so it makes their hunting hard work and success rate low, which makes them want to move on to more futile hunts (me hopes!) .
They really are so enjoyable to watch. I saw one of the fledgeling landing right next to an adult and started screaming, for no reason. The adult just turned around and pecked him/her :laugh:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue May 11, 2021 8:15 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:34 pm
Willpar wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:21 pm
they like having their bath, which makes them slow flyers.
I saw one of the fledgeling landing right next to an adult and started screaming, for no reason. The adult just turned around and pecked him/her :laugh:
Kids eh! Who'd ave um?

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Wed May 12, 2021 11:50 am

Butterfly wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:34 pm
quiet as a mouse :clap:
I spoke too soon! There must be some new fledglings, they haven't stopped screaming :weep:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Wed May 12, 2021 12:33 pm

Some new ones here also. Landing on parked cars on the chain of the fence, on the ground allover.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Wed May 12, 2021 2:55 pm

Willpar wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:33 pm
Some new ones here also. Landing on parked cars on the chain of the fence, on the ground allover.
One landed on top of a wood pigeon here :laugh:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu May 13, 2021 7:52 pm

My garden suddenly appears to be Wood Pigeon central. Every time I go out the back of the house I disturb at least two and often more Woodies. I always have Woodies visit but they are usually transient and not a constant presence. There may be some courting going on :love: but I have seen little sign of it. :shrug:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Fri May 14, 2021 11:08 am

I spotted this starling few days ago, but wasn't sure if I'm seeing it right. It has only one leg :( . I've seen them before with leg injuries/bad legs but this one's left leg is missing completely!

It seems to be a female, and its very mobile and active, adjusted well.