WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

All your bird talk in here
Jacksparrow

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri May 07, 2021 7:41 pm

An adult Starling feeding it's hungry fledgling by the wildlife pond. Fortunately the double glazing deflected most of the accompanying sound effects. :nod:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Fri May 07, 2021 8:20 pm

Not seen any fledglings here yet, must be on their way.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Fri May 07, 2021 11:32 pm

My day started disastrously when I got woken up by a great noise from a bunch of starling fledglings, only for the noise to turn into an alarm call by an adult, which made me jump out of my bed and I managed to catch the sight of a magpie carrying one fledgling. I shouted and scared him/her off and he dropped the little one, but it was too late. When I picked him up he was still alive but died after a minute in my hands, from a head injury :( :weep: . It made me so mad! It was a beautiful little bird, clearly well cared for by its parents :( . I saw one fledgling
throwing a hissy fit later and parent chasing it with food offerings, but it didn't help, it just went on screaming and running around. It might have been its sibling that was killed and the sibling is looking for him/her, they are highly social beings :( .

Later on I cought the bunch of them having a bath together and than finding a nice sunny spot in the shrub to dry off, sunbathe and preen :love: :hug2:

Last edited by Butterfly on Sat May 08, 2021 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sat May 08, 2021 11:05 am

Another day another magpie attack! :hissyfit: :wife: This time I was quick enough when I heard the screaming and when I looked outside the magpie was on top of a fledgeling, I screamed and shooed him off :grumpy: . The little one was running for cover unsteadily, and I could see that it can't fly, just hid in the shrub. I managed to catch him, and realised that he is not seriously hurt but was totally wet from the rain and couldn't fly. Magpie just pulled few small feathers, obviously just started on him :wife: I took him in just to make sure, and to give him a chance to dry off. Look at that cute face :love:

I put him in the box and let him relax because he was clearly in shock and very still. After a couple of hours he perked up and I could hear him scratching trying to get out. I looked at him again and he seem to be totally fine and dry now. So I took him outside, opened the box and he flew off :) .

peregrine

Post by peregrine » Sat May 08, 2021 3:06 pm

Glad to say my Greenfinch pair and Siskin pair have returned. They will be here for a few days and then disappear again.

peregrine

Post by peregrine » Sat May 08, 2021 3:15 pm

PS - meant to say the cock pheasant is back as well. Tail beginning to grow back.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Sat May 08, 2021 6:59 pm

Well done butterfly, is a hostile place out in the wild.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat May 08, 2021 7:52 pm

Well done Butterfly :clap: but the bad news is that once a Magpie has identified a likely food source they are unlikely to be permanently deterred. You may have more rescues to do.

peregrine

Post by peregrine » Sun May 09, 2021 11:49 am

Looked out the window a few minutes ago to discover - I now have two Stock Doves, one slightly smaller than the other.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Sun May 09, 2021 5:45 pm

That is great peregrine. Cant say that i ever seen one in the flesh so to speak.