All your bird talk in here
Willpar

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Post by Willpar » Fri May 14, 2021 7:08 pm

May have been like it since it hatched.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri May 14, 2021 8:45 pm

Birds with one leg seem to cope reasonably well from what I've seen. They might miss out in a real scramble for food and mating might be a bit tricky but in general they are OK.

Dunnock

Post by Dunnock » Fri May 21, 2021 7:47 pm

There's been heavy rain for 2 days and I've noticed the tits looking in unusual places.

They must be struggling to find insects for their chicks. :(

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sat May 22, 2021 11:07 am

I noticed that too Dunnock, was washing dishes in my kitchen when a blue tit flew right to the window, facing me! Really startled me and vice versa :eek:
I've seen them around the corners of my windows and roof lately, but didn't know what they are doing :scratch: , but now that you said it it makes sense. I wish this rain would stop :grumpy:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Sat May 22, 2021 1:30 pm

Not seen any of the tit family here looking for food. I have a cage feeder that i put soaked meal/calci worms in. Only sparrows taking them away so far.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri May 28, 2021 8:40 pm

A Song Thrush paid a short visit and was promptly seen off by one of the female Blackbirds. :(

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Fri May 28, 2021 9:05 pm

Nice bird to see.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:26 pm

First I heard starlings screeching in panic, went out and saw a cat from the neighbourhood walking away :grumpy: . It didn't look like it got any of them but I can't be sure, I hope not.
Later on, I heard a panicked screams again, but this time not from starlings but for some smaller bird. I went to the window and looked out, and at that time I saw a sparrowhawk landing on the garden wall :faint: . S/he landed right next to the shrub where there was about 20 little birds, starlings/sparrows/tits hiding :eek: . As I opened the window s/he got scared and flew off. No casualties :shake: . The shrub exploded with all of them flying out when the coast was clear though :laugh:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:16 pm

Seen a sparrowhawk a few days ago on my walk. Had what looked like a blackbird. Flew off with it when it seen me.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:48 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:26 pm
First I heard starlings screeching in panic, went out and saw a cat from the neighbourhood walking away :grumpy: . It didn't look like it got any of them but I can't be sure, I hope not.
Later on, I heard a panicked screams again, but this time not from starlings but for some smaller bird. I went to the window and looked out, and at that time I saw a sparrowhawk landing on the garden wall :faint: . S/he landed right next to the shrub where there was about 20 little birds, starlings/sparrows/tits hiding :eek: . As I opened the window s/he got scared and flew off. No casualties :shake: . The shrub exploded with all of them flying out when the coast was clear though :laugh:
The scream you heard is the warning call uttered by the first to see the menace. It is usually a Blackbird in my garden but Starlings are also vey awake to Sprawk threats.