WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

All your bird talk in here
Mike_k

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Post by Mike_k » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:01 am

Jacksparrow wrote:
Mike_k wrote:Saw a goldcrest today. I may have seen one a few years ago but this is the first time recently. Opened the bedroom curtains and saw a bird that looked smaller than usual in the birch just outside the window and was sure it wasn't a blue or great tit. It was hopping around and hidden by twigs but was then able to see the yellow streak along the top of its head. Looked in my bird book and I'm sure it was a female goldcrest. Hopefully, it will come back at some time.
Good spot Mike_k. They can be very elusive and being so small easy to miss. :nod: :yes:
Being small is what drew my attention. I'm not the greatest bird-watcher but it is surprising how you can spot something a little different from what you normally see.

Mike_k

Post by Mike_k » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:34 pm

A long-tail tit was on the coconut fat feeder when a blue tit came along and chased it off. The LTT went up into the tree and the blue tit followed and chased it off again. A couple of minutes later the LTT (or another one !) was back on the feeder and again the blue tit chased it off.
Is there some sort of hierarchy between the birds or could it be a territorial thing as the LTTs come and go but the blue tit seems be more resident in the area ?

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:32 pm

Mike_k wrote:A long-tail tit was on the coconut fat feeder when a blue tit came along and chased it off. The LTT went up into the tree and the blue tit followed and chased it off again. A couple of minutes later the LTT (or another one !) was back on the feeder and again the blue tit chased it off.
Is there some sort of hierarchy between the birds or could it be a territorial thing as the LTTs come and go but the blue tit seems be more resident in the area ?
I had an identical experience a couple of weeks ago. It was the first time I'd seen a Blue Tit being aggressive to any other bird. The LTTs have started taking an interest in the sunflower hearts and I wondering id the Blueys are resenting that. :shrug:

Mike_k

Post by Mike_k » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:49 pm

I'll keep an eye out and see if happens again.
I also noticed the chaffinches getting frisky today with one chasing another round the trees !

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:26 pm

Eight goldfinches arrived together just now and pecked at the buds on a damson tree :bird2:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:20 pm

Charming.

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:08 am

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

greenfinch2

Post by greenfinch2 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:50 pm

Nice one Nuthatch love the goldies,saw the Sparrows starting to nest build its still pretty cold. :wave2:

Placido

Post by Placido » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:15 pm

Grass in beaks, twice:

Mrs. Blackbird and a feral pigeon. Can't win 'em all I s'pose :rolleyes:.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:09 pm

The milder weather has certainly upped the tempo with the homebuilders in my garden. The pair of Robins have selected the site for this year's nest and have been busy for most of the day. Meanwhile the sparrow terrace is seeing some activity but the position of it prevents me seeing just how much is going on. :)