Injured Starling

All your bird talk in here
Nicky75

Injured Starling

Post by Nicky75 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:46 pm

For the last four months I have had an injured Starling, that can’t fly, hanging around my yard. It came as a grey juvenile and its wing was hanging down.I live five minutes walk from Sherwood Forest and have been here three years and I have seen the Starling population that visit each day go from several to around thirty birds. I have three Polish Chickens. They have a hutch and enclosure, I also put up a netting between their hutch and the garage to give them some extra safe space during the day in the garden (I pull this down each night). The Starling used to come in through a hole in the netting and hang out in the chickens enclosure during the day, but I never saw where it was roosting. It can only flap about a few feet high. It has just starting staying in their enclosure, sometimes in the hutch overnight now. He/she also chats away to itself. I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced similar situations with birds like this. I’m happy that it stays in the enclosure safe from the sparrowhawks and cats that get about.

Butterfly

Re: Injured Starling

Post by Butterfly » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:46 am

I have starlings feeding in my garden, and I've seen few times some of them unwell, but never seen one that can't fly and is staying to roost alone during the night, they always roost in a group. It sure seems that that one is not capable of following the others. I don't know if it would be possible to catch it and take it to the vet, or if that would be a good idea. Or maybe catch it and tame it to keep as a pet? Because if it can't fly its not very likely it will survive for long. Than again, it did for four months :shrug:

Jacksparrow

Re: Injured Starling

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:02 pm

An interesting story Nicky75. From the description it sounds like your young Starling has a broken wing. This is usually curtains for any wild bird but your youngster has found a way to survive which I applaud. I don't recall hearing a similar story elsewhere but I hope it manages to survive the winter. :nod: