BIRD FEEDING

All your bird talk in here
Jacksparrow

Re: BIRD FEEDING

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:07 pm

It has been really obvious this past week that the demand for food has declined somewhat. All the usual suspects are still turning up but less frequently and in fewer numbers.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue May 12, 2015 7:53 pm

The amount of food disappearing from all the feeders has stepped up quite noticeably in the last week. The fat ball consumption has also doubled. The main culprits for the latter is a pair of Jackdaws who can consume huge amounts in a very short time. :rolleyes:
I am also finding myself topping up the bird bath at least 4 times per day bearing in mind I have two of them plus two ponds for would be bathers. :)

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Tue May 12, 2015 8:25 pm

Same here, huge amounts of food not only being ate, but taken away. Main culprits starlings and sparrows. The sparrows have their own cage feeder and I top that one up 4 times a day.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue May 26, 2015 7:51 pm

It was with some regret that today I fitted a cage around my fatball feeder. I have done so in the past a couple of times and it was for the same reason. Jackdaws! I remarked last week I had a pair visiting and making short work of the fatballs. Since then they have gone through a tub of fifty. :eek: The pair had become three and I spotted four in attendance yesterday. My bird feeding budget does not cover having greedy corvids nor is it fair on the Sparrows and Starlings who were hardly getting a look in.
For the benefit of any new readers my cage consists of two wire hanging baskets wired together with a hole at one end to get at the top of the feeder.

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue May 26, 2015 9:54 pm

The old dilemma .......
Same here - one woodpigeon became two (hurrah !!) and so on. 'Tother day there were six. Now I'm all for pigeons and doves but there's a line to be drawn and it usually has to do with economics :shrug:.
But then I think, it's not their fault, you are encouraging them and you can't play God.
No easy answer.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed May 27, 2015 7:49 pm

I don't blame the Jackdaws for taking advantage of an easy meal. It's what they do but they are usually occasional visitors and my regulars need consideration too. The Jackies were back today and found the chicken carcass I'd put out so didn't go away hungry. As for the regulars they are regarding the cage with some suspicion though the Sturks(as you might have guessed :rolleyes: ) were first in to get at the goodies.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:12 pm

From time to time the patrons of my hanging seed feeders start wasteing the food by being very selective on which parts of the mixture they want. the remainder is dropped onto the ground and even my Woodies, Ferals and Collared Doves cannot cope with the build up of wasted seed.
My solution is to reduce the amount that I put in the feeders. If the Sparrows and Sturks want more than I'm prepared to supply they will have to go down to the ground for it.

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:19 pm

:nod: :yes:
It's like driving a car: sometimes you have to floor the accelerator and sometimes just stick to the 20mph speed limit.
Wintertime and Autumn demand completely different feeding patterns and amounts.

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:03 am

The peanut butter in the jar feeder is still going down but no sign of a mouse in it for quite some time so it must be just a few birds eating it :bird2:

greenfinch2

Post by greenfinch2 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:47 pm

Fat balls are going like hot cakes, they all seem to be at them Sturks, Sparrows and blue Tits the Blackkbirds just like sultanas. :wave2: