WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

All your bird talk in here
Bird

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Post by Bird » Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:56 pm

Well yesterday.. new starling babies from the nest in the roof, the first lot were sat around with 15 other youngsters.
We have a quiet visiting rook, and I heard him cawing for the first time, looked out and he was with his young uns.
There's lots of little fluttering sparrows and greenfinches around the feeders, and tiny goldfinches, aww.
Also I spotted a fox up the lane, with a really cool stripey tail.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:05 pm

Sounds like you are in a good location for wildlife.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:43 pm

Bird wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:56 pm

Also I spotted a fox up the lane, with a really cool stripey tail.
Could have been an escaped raccoon :D

Bird

Post by Bird » Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:15 pm

Ha! Ya never know. :D

Yeah we're semi rural here, and tons of people feed the birds, which keeps other wildlife going. My mate down the road puts a bit of food out for his resident foxes, as he's got lots of ducks and a few other birds, so it's in all their interests!

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:29 pm

Bird wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:15 pm
Ha! Ya never know. :D

Yeah we're semi rural here, and tons of people feed the birds, which keeps other wildlife going. My mate down the road puts a bit of food out for his resident foxes, as he's got lots of ducks and a few other birds, so it's in all their interests!
I only ever saw one fox in daylight in my garden but I know they visit occasionally from night time trailcam photos.

Bird

Post by Bird » Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:00 am

Jacksparrow - re my friend with the ducks/fox, I had horses on his land a few years ago, and often I'd go up there about 4 or 5am. One morning I caught the vixen trotting down the hill after her two cubs, who were literally gambolling and rolling down the grassy slope - utterly beautiful!
We also startled each other once, when I walked round some very overgrown brambles and they were sunbathing outside the den.
There are 2 roe deer and a muntjac who graze there too - I could get fairly close if I made the horses surround me and walked with them.
I'm always humbled by nature's beauty. But y'know, even the intention of a photo will make them leg it!

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:35 pm

The animals seem to know the habits of humans so don't expect to see us very early or late. They are mentally unprepared to face us in what they regard as their time.