THE FIRMAMENT

For everything nature based that doesn't fit anywhere else!
Placido

Re: THE FIRMAMENT

Post by Placido » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:21 am

I deeply mistrust any sentence which begins: "We come in peace ....."
That's right up there with:
The cheque is in the post.
Of course I'll still love you in the morning, darling.
and most ominous of all: I'm from Head Office and I'm here to help you. :yikes:

If They say, "Take me to your leader.", war will immediately break out trying to decide who actually is earth's Leader :shrug: :scratch:

I take your point, Jacksparrow, there is a huge timelag in the transmission of astronomic radio signals and the reply to same. However, that's not to say that Life did not exist once upon a time, not necessarily right now, somewhere on a planet out there, and evidence of Life, or in this case Intelligent Life, is what the boffins are searching for because the fundamental question is, "Are we alone?" And given the mind-bending number of possibilities then surely the answer has to be, "mmmmmm, maybe, possibly, perhaps, could be." :unsure:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:36 pm

As it happens I am quite sure that we are not the only planet in the universe which is habitable by some kind of intelligent life but the distances are immense and the time for them to reach us are mind boggling. There are plenty who are prepared to argue that contact has already been made and it is only the powers that be's readiness to withhold the information that keeps us all from knowing. Apparently they think it would cause panic or blow our minds. :sofa:

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:29 am

I agree that the time it takes to swap radio messages makes the entire "Let's broadcast a message!!" project a complete waste of time.
We've sent innumerable messages since the inception of this about 60 years ago and we're listening hard for a response. It's never going to happen. The very first 'message' - the Hiroshima atomic bomb !! - hasn't landed yet. Radio waves travel much much slower than light waves but all this nonsense is keeping the SETI nutjobs in jobs.
On the other hand, I could easily be persuaded that They have already landed, are hidden away in Area 51 and are currently taking tea with Princess Diana and Elvis :nod:. Makes as much sense as any other conspiracy theory :shrug: