POND LINER

Fish, aquatic plants, amphibians, fountains and everything else pond related.
Jacksparrow

Re: POND LINER

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:52 pm

Willpar wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:49 pm
A new pond over the village still has a muddy look. I wonder if it is because it continually pumping to the waterfall, and not settling.
Could be. Is it getting any water from anywhere else. I've have an overflow from the water butt feeding my pond which brings with it a certain amount of debris from the roof but not enough to make it muddy.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:56 pm

Not that I know of Jacksparrow. Is on a raised piece of ground. He had it done by workmen. Several weeks ago now, and I would say the pump has always been on.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:07 pm

I took a video of the pond. Is on page 33 here, Late summer sizzlers.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:43 pm

I had to break the ice on the new pond for the first time this winter. I don't think it has any residents but you can't be too careful. :shake:

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:43 am

They say that a floating ball on the surface of a pond 'helps' in the eternal dilemma of frozen water :shrug:.
Or maybe a kekkle of boiling water judiciously poured into a quiet corner ?
I used to bash the surface with the business end of a spade (never had any pond wildlife to consider) but on a very cold day it would freeze again. Have never come across a foolproof solution to this.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:15 pm

Placido wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:43 am
They say that a floating ball on the surface of a pond 'helps' in the eternal dilemma of frozen water :shrug:.
Or maybe a kekkle of boiling water judiciously poured into a quiet corner ?
I used to bash the surface with the business end of a spade (never had any pond wildlife to consider) but on a very cold day it would freeze again. Have never come across a foolproof solution to this.
I use an old wooden broom handle and usually start tapping in the corner or near the edge. It works in all but the most severe conditions when the boiling water in a tin can method has to be used.
When possible I remove a quantity of the broken ice which increases the time it takes to freeze over again. :nod:

Placido

Post by Placido » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:33 am

Aaahh, I take your point about the wooden broom handle - wood will cause fewer reverberations than a metal spade. That's clever :yes:.
Frankly, beyond wiring up a waterproof heating element and stringing it to the nearest streetlamp, not sure whether there is a guaranteed solution to winter hard water.
However ..... :rolleyes: \/ \/ \/

Honest Placi (Hermetic Solutions) Inc.