AUTUMN Innit

Tips, tricks, problems and solutions for the gardeners out there
Placido

Re: AUTUMN Innit

Post by Placido » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:43 am

Interesting that the rowan berries are as yet uneaten, Jacksparrow. My tree is more heavily laden than ever I've seen it but berries not yet touched. Oddly, those berries are normally second only to the holly but this year the pyrawotsits have been virtually stripped already.
It's all backwards :unsure:.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:47 pm

All my rowan berries have gone. But I don't know if they were eaten or the wind blew them off.

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:59 am

At last :rolleyes: someone has toyed with the rowan berries :). Not the usual blackies, this was a sparrow ! Unusual but so has the reaction been this year to those berries :shrug:.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:51 pm

Placido wrote:At last :rolleyes: someone has toyed with the rowan berries :). Not the usual blackies, this was a sparrow ! Unusual but so has the reaction been this year to those berries :shrug:.
I always told my kids not to play with their food :nod:

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:51 pm

Overday and overnight the rowan berries have become mega-attractive :munch: to ..... the woodies !!!
This aft I watched 5 (that's five !) all at the top of the tree surgically stripping the berries. I reckon they ate about a fifth of the total berries in an hour.
If the blackbirds want some they'd better get a shift on :bolt: :dogrun:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:50 pm

I think the Woodies had some of mine but the largest share went to the Blackies. Nearly all gone now and they are struggling with the few on the extreme ends of the branches. There are still a few fallen ones available but not for much longer I feel. :shake:

Placido

Post by Placido » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:50 am

Still plenty on my rowan but as previously reported, it's been a super year for the berries. Never seen the tree laden with so many.
Blackies still seem to be retaining their distance :shrug:.

Placido

Post by Placido » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:05 pm

Late affie, five there agen !! Presuming they're the same five as yesterday :shrug: but today they were joined by one single blackbird. It's getting to be a little bit like the Partridge In A Rowan Tree :eek: <<< singing :D.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:55 pm

Placido wrote:Late affie, five there agen !! Presuming they're the same five as yesterday :shrug: but today they were joined by one single blackbird. It's getting to be a little bit like the Partridge In A Rowan Tree :eek: <<< singing :D.
Not quite the Turtle Doves have cancelled and gone to Africa for the winter. :)

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:11 pm

I'm wise to their little ways now :magnify:so I looked out at 3 o'clock and, blow me down, there were eight in the tree !!! Thought that this was becoming unfair, and altogether too much of a good thing, so jiggled the back door handle and they all flew away :).
Checked again about half an hour later and there was a single song thrush eating rowan berries, very peacefully and happily.
Not sure about interfering with Nature but felt that the end result justified it. Fair Shares For All :yes: