WHAT'S GROWING IN YOUR GARDEN ??

Tips, tricks, problems and solutions for the gardeners out there
Jacksparrow

Re: WHAT'S GROWING IN YOUR GARDEN ??

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:08 pm

Placido wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:15 pm
A Placi First :clap:. A speedwell is growing in the garden !! Beautiful blue.
It won't be long before they take over the garden. Very pretty but ................ :eek:

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:16 pm

So. The Speedwell Celebrations have come to a shuddering halt - it's flax :rolleyes:.
So. Let the Flax Celebrations commence .......

POI: Google sez that flax can arrive through the medium of bird seed. I've got a lot of that but have never had flax before.

Honest Placi (Organic Linen) Inc.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:54 pm

Placido wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:16 pm
So. The Speedwell Celebrations have come to a shuddering halt - it's flax :rolleyes:.
So. Let the Flax Celebrations commence .......

POI: Google sez that flax can arrive through the medium of bird seed. I've got a lot of that but have never had flax before.

Honest Placi (Organic Linen) Inc.
I'll send my measurements :nod: You can run something up while you're watching the cricket. :banana:

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:16 pm

Starts Wednesday, 8 July, 2020 at 11 am at The Aegis Bowl, Southampton. Armchair booked.
Amazingly, the weather is set fair :bow: :bow: :bow:

peregrine

Post by peregrine » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:24 am

I had a large empty tube out the back and a spare bag of compost and didn't intend to grow potatoes. I put a few inches of compost in the bottom of the tub and placed five potatoes, just from the veg box, (one in the middle and four round the edge in the compost. I covered the potatoes with about three inches of compost and watered. Once the potatoes sprouted and came through I put about another three inches compost to cover. Kept repeating this until the tub was filled to the top. Tattie shaws are strong and healthy and if they are anything to go by there should be a good crop, Only time will tell.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:02 pm

Sounds like a job well done. They dry out quick in tubs, so plenty of watering and a liquid feed if you have any.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:25 pm

I tried it once in a 40 gallon drum. Sifted the soil so no stones, mixed pear and sand with it. Planted a Pentland crown tuber around halfway down. Kept filling with more prepared soil until i got almost to top. Only got 11 pound of potatos for all that effort. But i did notice though with all the watering and feeding, when i turned it out, was bone dry.

Placido

Post by Placido » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:59 pm

Jos, Flax, Egg 006.JPG
After the Flax Celebrations a couple of weeks ago, The Men came to mow the lawns and strimmerman managed to completely annihilate the flax flower :weep:.
This morning whilst putting out the birdfood I spy a new flax flower :tampoline: next to a newly acquired present of a, I think, woodpigeon egg.
Who says there's no new miracles :D :laugh: :D

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:49 pm

I made a small start on the autumn clearance of the flower beds today. Quite a few different spring flowers are having a last hoorah before winter sets in for keeps. Oxeye daisies are leading the charge along with bell flowers and Meadow Cranesbill. Last week I had single dog rose flower amongst all the now very red hips.