CATS

All the other creepy crawlies and animals that interact with your garden and the countryside
Jacksparrow

Re: CATS

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:15 pm

Placido wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:24 pm
Looked out this evening (5 pm) at the darkened back garden and could discern a blacker shape than the surroundings sitting in the centre of the lawn. I think it was a large cat but obviously no colour was showing, and it seemed to be facing the feeder cage, about 6 - 7 ft away. It was right away from any hiding place, very conspicuous, and very still.
Watched it for about 2 mins, trying to see what it actually was and what it was doing :shrug:.
Fetched the torch and it had gone :(.
If it was a fox it was a small one, if it was a cat it was large.
It was quite puzzling and a little bit spooky. Very odd .......
Escaped Puma probably :cat2:

Placido

Post by Placido » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:11 am

I hope it was, Jacksparrow. I hope the rat hasn't come back :eek:.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:15 pm

As I was walking away from my house today, I looked back and saw a neighbour's cat on the fence, clearly stalking the feeders :grumpy: :cat: . We have a problem, scary sticks are out :wife:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:44 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:15 pm
As I was walking away from my house today, I looked back and saw a neighbour's cat on the fence, clearly stalking the feeders :grumpy: :cat: . We have a problem, scary sticks are out :wife:
If the scary stick is not handy waving your arms and hissing loudly often works. You must make it clear that garden visits in the daytime are permitted.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:41 pm

I found what I believe is a cat poo in my garden this morning :wife:
My bird feeder is nowhere near as busy as it should be, probably because of those visits :(

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:00 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:41 pm
My bird feeder is nowhere near as busy as it should be, probably because of those visits :(
Don't let the cat droppings linger as other cats like to add their contribution in the same area. I usually get rid of them to a location away from the garden. There is little doubt the presence of a cat will deter the birds so try and decide where the cat might be hiding and take steps to deny it the opportunity.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:50 pm

Jacksparrow wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:00 pm
Butterfly wrote:
Don't let the cat droppings linger as other cats like to add their contribution in the same area. I usually get rid of them to a location away from the garden. There is little doubt the presence of a cat will deter the birds so try and decide where the cat might be hiding and take steps to deny it the opportunity.
Thanks Jack :) , I disposed of the droppings as soon as I saw them. I've been trying to see where it comes from, but I've never seen it, apart from one time when I saw it walking on the wall, and than went away. My garden is not big, so I don't think there are many hiding places, and it looks like it comes during the night, so its making my mission to deter it quite hard :(

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:12 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:50 pm
Jacksparrow wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:00 pm
Butterfly wrote:
Thanks Jack :) , I disposed of the droppings as soon as I saw them. I've been trying to see where it comes from, but I've never seen it, apart from one time when I saw it walking on the wall, and than went away. My garden is not big, so I don't think there are many hiding places, and it looks like it comes during the night, so its making my mission to deter it quite hard :(
I gave up trying to stop night visits and settled for keeping them away in the day. :nod:

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:29 am

Ruby 003 (800x600).jpg
This is the latest bane of my life - Ruby :rolleyes:. She's not long come to live among us (new neighbour) and takes mice into the home and is irresistibly drawn to my feeder cage and shrubbery.
She seems to be a little bit happy-go-lucky as far as camouflage is concerned but there you go :shrug:.
Yesterday, after rain the sun came out, she was asleep upon one of my wheelie bins :rolleyes:. She's persistent, I must admit - this was 8 pm last night.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:47 pm

I never get on first name terms with my visiting moggies. None of them would abuse my hospitality as blatant as that :shake: