Squirrel

All the other creepy crawlies and animals that interact with your garden and the countryside
Jacksparrow

Re: Squirrel

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun May 31, 2020 8:41 pm

Placido wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 7:57 am
First squirrel of the season :(
A young one but made a beeline for the feeder cage as soon as breakfast was served. Here we go .... :rolleyes:
Get the scary stick out and teach the youngster a lesson before he gets comfortable :wife: :squirrel: :smack:

Placido

Post by Placido » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:15 am

It's true - a lesson must be taught (fat lot of good it's done in previous years :rolleyes:)

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:17 pm

I'm getting a frequent visit from a squirrel but most of the time it is leaving the bird food for the birds. Although I haven't seen it eating anything else I think is must be pillaging my hazel nut tree. This is fine by me as usually many of them drop from the tree and I never to be found. The few I do retrieve are off the lawn and if I'm honest are not particularly tasty.

Placido

Post by Placido » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:32 am

Ah yes, the remodelling of the back lawn is about to begin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Haven't seen a squirrel for ages but I'll be ready for 'em.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:58 am

I make my garden, and food in it, available for all wildlife. Unfortunately, my property is in an awkward place, where you have to cross a very busy road, so the squirrels and hedghogs have problems reaching it, without being run over :( . I think a squirrel tried, but ended up dead. RIP :(

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:41 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:58 am
I make my garden, and food in it, available for all wildlife. Unfortunately, my property is in an awkward place, where you have to cross a very busy road, so the squirrels and hedghogs have problems reaching it, without being run over :( . I think a squirrel tried, but ended up dead. RIP :(
That's very sad but finding a home where there isn't traffic zooming past is not easy nowadays. A cul-de-sac is your best bet or if the lottery pays out an house standing in it's own grounds up a private drive. Good luck with next week's numbers :)

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:40 pm

I get an occasional visit from a Squirrel. Today was one of those days. It made a b-line for the hanging feeders up to the point where it spotted me watching from behind the patio door. It then withdrew and went off looking like it was going to try it's luck elsewhere. I also went elsewhere at that point but returned less than two minutes later. Guess who was back and wrapped around the SFH feeder :squirrel: I made my presence felt and it cleared off for good this time. :nod:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:31 pm

On my walk through the local park today I saw a squirrel gathering something on the ground. I thought she (I know its a she :D ) is digging up a nut previously buried, but than I realised she gathered dry leaves and took a paws full up the nearby tree and to the nest! Someone is making a nest nice and cosy for the soon to arrive babies it seems :love: :hug2:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:43 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:31 pm
On my walk through the local park today I saw a squirrel gathering something on the ground. I thought she (I know its a she :D ) is digging up a nut previously buried, but than I realised she gathered dry leaves and took a paws full up the nearby tree and to the nest! Someone is making a nest nice and cosy for the soon to arrive babies it seems :love: :hug2:
I don't doubt your Squirrel was reinforcing her drey but I think the young usually arrive a little later in the Spring. :squirrel: :nod:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:35 am

You are right JS they do, but that's not far off now, and I know I am being enthusiastic :laugh: