Your Garden Hedgehogs

All of that essential hedgie chat about our favourite spiky friends
Jacksparrow

Re: Your Garden Hedgehogs

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:38 pm

Hog sightings in my garden have been rare in recent times until last evening. I went out the back of the house to lock the back door of the garage and there was a kerfuffle coming from under the hanging feeders akin to an old steam engine under load. Two fully grown Hogs were playing argy-bargy over who should have the prime spot for the eating of dropped seeds. Closer to the house a much smaller one was huddled up trying not to move as the back patio light was illuminating it. 3 in one evening! I'm both amazed and delighted. :wow: :woohoo: :banana:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:00 am

That is great JS to have three in one go. I am having regular visits each night now. Were two huffing and puffing last week.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:43 pm

Lots of hedgehog activity at the moment. two to three adults, and three to four juveniles.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:59 pm

Willpar wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:43 pm
Lots of hedgehog activity at the moment. two to three adults, and three to four juveniles.
That is such a good news :clap:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:38 pm

Whilst tidying up a part of my garden this afternoon I had a very strange find. A hedgehog skull :eek: . I know it was a hog because there were still some oddments of skin attached with spines and little bits of hair. A the time of posting I have not found any more remains which begs the question how did it get there and where are the other bones? :shrug:
I have one rather tenuous theory. About two months ago a hog was run over in the road outside of my house. Did some scavenger manage to separate the head and bring it into the garden for a small meal? :(

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:23 pm

Jacksparrow wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:38 pm
Whilst tidying up a part of my garden this afternoon I had a very strange find. A hedgehog skull :eek: . I know it was a hog because there were still some oddments of skin attached with spines and little bits of hair. A the time of posting I have not found any more remains which begs the question how did it get there and where are the other bones? :shrug:
I have one rather tenuous theory. About two months ago a hog was run over in the road outside of my house. Did some scavenger manage to separate the head and bring it into the garden for a small meal? :(
Oh wow, that must have been a bit of a shock. And you are probably right Jack, some scavenger probably eat the poor dead hog somewhere else, than another one took leftovers and brought them to your garden to eat them in peace?
So much going on in our gardens behind our backs, and most of the time we never find out :eek:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:32 pm

That`s a shame JS. Probably like you said a scavenger brought it in.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:38 am

Season is slowing down a bit here now. But still getting around three.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:20 pm

Pretty sure i have some late brood hoglets coming in for food. Don`t seem to be all that big.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:36 pm

Willpar wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:20 pm
Pretty sure i have some late brood hoglets coming in for food. Don`t seem to be all that big.
Do you watch them to see if they need any help Willpar? If they are strong enough to hibernate? I know that a wildlife rescue who deal with hogs say that this year they are having quite a lot of admissions of a very young (for this time of the year) hoglets who are too thin to be able to survive hibernation. Its worrying :unsure: