Your Garden Hedgehogs

All of that essential hedgie chat about our favourite spiky friends
Willpar

Re: Your Garden Hedgehogs

Post by Willpar » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:17 pm

Great news indeed butterfly, and well done for making the effort to help hedgehogs.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu May 23, 2024 7:32 pm

Overnight Tuesday to Wednesday the rain never stopped at Sparrow Towers. I put my hog food on the covered patio by the my back door. I'm not sure how many hogs came to get out of the rain and have a feed(I only actually saw one) but most of the food was eaten and my patio was dotted with CCs. I'm thinking there must have been at least three :hedgehog: :hedgehog: :hedgehog: :feedbirds:
I love them coming but Mrs JS is not keen on them turning our patio into a minefield.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Thu May 23, 2024 8:09 pm

Good going JS. Looks like three to four coming in here.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:50 pm

Numbers visiting has dropped, and looks like not so many visits during the night. Goes like that sometimes.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:06 am

My 2 hedgehogs are still coming regularly, and always together, how odd :) . I think more come to feed but I can't be sure. Very happy to have them around and they obviously approve of the "eatery" :D

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:11 pm

Good news Butterfly.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:51 am

What do you guys do when you find a hedgehog in the middle of the day, who looks poorly and there is no local rescue who can take it?
That happened to me yesterday. I looked out the window and saw a hedgehog in my garden who appeared to be lethargic. I picked him/her up, tried to call local rescue to take it there but they couldn't take it.
I than made a box with hay, cat food and water inside and made a hole so it can get out, put it inside in a place where its not disturbed. I than had to go to work. This morning when I checked, food and water was not used and the hedgehog was gone :(

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:35 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:51 am
What do you guys do when you find a hedgehog in the middle of the day, who looks poorly and there is no local rescue who can take it?
That happened to me yesterday. I looked out the window and saw a hedgehog in my garden who appeared to be lethargic. I picked him/her up, tried to call local rescue to take it there but they couldn't take it.
I than made a box with hay, cat food and water inside and made a hole so it can get out, put it inside in a place where its not disturbed. I than had to go to work. This morning when I checked, food and water was not used and the hedgehog was gone :(
I have only ever found two in the middle of the day. The first was as you describe yours but sadly it died shortly after I'd found it. The second one was very lively and was wandering around looking for food. It shared some of the bird food much to the surprise of the young Starlings also present then bimbled around some more before disappearing under the back fence.
I am lucky to have a wild life rescue charity active about 4 miles away but I've not required their services so far.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Thu Jun 13, 2024 5:25 pm

The hedgehog came back the next day, again in the middle of the day, drunk some water and than just sort of collapsed by the dish, looking like its asleep, in the open and in the sun. So I took it again and put it in a box, found a wildlife rescue which was a bit far but at this point I was ready to drive further, just couldn't look at the poor thing suffering, clearly unwell. You are very lucky to have a rescue centre near you Jack. Its with them now and if it gets better I will collect it to release it in my garden. Lets hope 🤞

Bird

Post by Bird » Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:40 pm

We get a hog in early summer, then he'll disappear. I rarely see him, just some indicators of a fullsome diet around the lawn, lol!!