TREES

The place for plant tips and queries
Jacksparrow

Re: TREES

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:50 pm

Placido wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:13 am
Thank you for the history lesson. Maybe I'll try a beech :rolleyes:.
Not the weather for a beech. Maybe a Willow :nod:

Placido

Post by Placido » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:20 am

:laugh: Willow !!! Hahahahahah
(I saw what you did there - veeeerrry good :yes:)

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:01 pm

My rowan has a nice lot of berries. Nothing eating them yet though.

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:02 am

My rowan is taking a rest this year :(; Note To Self - Up the winter suet pellet order :rolleyes:.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:17 pm

My rowan has gone down the quality over quantity route. The remaining berries are a good size but the number is down on many years. :)

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:18 pm

I need a bit of advice if anyone can help. I have this tree in my little garden, its been there when I moved in:

As you can see, it doesn't look very healthy, as some parts near the trunk are brown and look like they are dead. Its very near the wall and its
also not very far from another tree outside the wall, whose branches are above it (you can't see it in that picture)
I don't want the tree to die, but I don't know what to do to help it.
Would it help if I dug it up and moved it to a different place, a bit more away from the wall and the other tree? :scratch:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:00 pm

Hi butterfly, looking by the trunk it is being used as a cat scratching post. And by the looks of the rest, I have doubts as to whether it would recover.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:55 pm

Willpar wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:00 pm
Hi butterfly, looking by the trunk it is being used as a cat scratching post. And by the looks of the rest, I have doubts as to whether it would recover.
Thanks Willpar, it does look sick :( . I will have to see how it goes in the spring, and might try one last attempt at saving it by moving it, but yeah, it might not survive. The previous owner of the property had a cat, so it might have been used as a cat scratching post. I love them but at the moment bloody cats are causing a havoc in my garden :hissyfit:

Placido

Post by Placido » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:24 am

Re the 'silver birch' referred to in "Bird Feeding", this affie a young gentleman, Rob, is coming to discuss the felling of said beloved bird hangout/restaurant.
It's grown more in the 2 years since it was lopped than in the previous, I dunno, 9 or 10 years and has reached ridiculous proportions. Not sure that another lopping will solve anything in the long-term so I think it has to go.
I hate doing this - I love trees - but can't see another solution - unless Rob has a suggestion ..... :shrug:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:42 pm

Placido wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:24 am
Re the 'silver birch' referred to in "Bird Feeding", this affie a young gentleman, Rob, is coming to discuss the felling of said beloved bird hangout/restaurant.
It's grown more in the 2 years since it was lopped than in the previous, I dunno, 9 or 10 years and has reached ridiculous proportions. Not sure that another lopping will solve anything in the long-term so I think it has to go.
I hate doing this - I love trees - but can't see another solution - unless Rob has a suggestion ..... :shrug:
That is the problem with trees, they never stop growing. In the last 6 months I've had to take the saw to my plum and more recently the Hazel. Both are relatively small types. My Rowan does continue to grow but seems to limit itself. There are always bits falling off which have died and dried up. :eek: