spiders

All the other creepy crawlies and animals that interact with your garden and the countryside
JooMoo
Site Admin

Re: spiders

Post by JooMoo » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:36 pm

I snapped this one in my lounge earlier.
Then I prodded him.
Then he ran under the sofa!

I won't be hiding behind it :sofa:
I like reading

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:26 pm

JooMoo wrote:I snapped this one in my lounge earlier.
Then I prodded him.
Then he ran under the sofa!

I won't be hiding behind it :sofa:
A seven legged spider :eek: Is this a new species :D

JooMoo
Site Admin

Post by JooMoo » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:13 pm

Haha.

I looked under the sofa today. He's not there. Nor in any corners or behind the TV. So where's he gone?
I like reading

Biker

Post by Biker » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:54 pm

He's behind you...........

My photography is rubbish as you all know. Soooo, you will have to imagine three webs, situated between the Pyrowotsit and the Cottoneaster. Looks stunning in real life. The web structures are amazing (you will have to take my word for that).

I rescued one of these spiders, so especially pleased to see them all doing so well. It makes it impossible to manage the shrubs though, can't get through without disturbing them!!!! 1: is covering the foreground, 2: the middle ground etc. The spider in the middle is clearly at a disadvantage!!!
3D Spiders.jpg

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:07 pm

I have webs everywhere in the garden at present and I feel very guilty when I have to trash one to jobs there.

Biker

Post by Biker » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:23 pm

Me too Jacksparra. I have seen Spiders rebuild their webs within 12 hours in my garden. You are providing a home for Spiders. No need to ever feel guilty. :)

JooMoo
Site Admin

Post by JooMoo » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:21 pm

I've disturbed the crab-like spider's web 3 times already. Within a few minutes, he's back in his position.
I like reading

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:30 pm

JooMoo wrote:I've disturbed the crab-like spider's web 3 times already. Within a few minutes, he's back in his position.
They are remarkably persistent when they think they've found a good spot. I always park my car close to the garage door rather than in the garage and a good sized Cross Spider keeps stringing it's webs between the car and the garage door. Every time I use the car the web is demolished. Next morning there it is again. :)

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:21 pm

I have noticed the annual autumnal upturn in Spider activity has started early this year. For the past month my car has been festooned with webs most mornings a phenomena I haven't noticed previously. Is there a new breed of Spider on the block?