Oh Deer!

All the other creepy crawlies and animals that interact with your garden and the countryside
nuthatch

Re: Oh Deer!

Post by nuthatch » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:10 am

:cry3: Won't play at the moment :rolleyes2:

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:30 am

Yay :rara: I have watched the video a few times now - great stuff, Willpar :clap: Babychams all round again :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :goodvibes:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:57 pm

Sadly, while out for a walk this morning I came across a roe deer on a grass verge. Looked like it had been hit by a car. Not been there long I would say. Such a shame to see it.
Did make a video of it, is not gory and just a small amount of blood. Anyone who wishes to look can do so with the link below.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:32 pm

Very sad Willpar :( . A regular sight around where I live. They are not very good with traffic,I have come very close to hitting one several times myself.

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:02 am

I've just been able to play this, Willpar - so very sad with one so young :cry3:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:16 am

Hi Nuthatch, yes it is not all that old. I looked it up on a site that shows the antlers at different ages. My best guess put it at around 3 years old. I did think that maybe it was trying to get in the maze field that was just along the road a bit. But the hedge is a bit high. But who knows why it was there.
Another interesting thing I found out about the Roe Deer is that they are quite solitary animals. Prefer to be alone rather than in herds. When they are together which is rare is only usually a handful. And they are native to this country. A wealth of information this internet thing.

Kev
Site Admin

Post by Kev » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:23 pm

Amazingly enough I saw SEVEN deer today, spread over 3 encounters, and didn't manage to get a picture of any of them!! :sofa:

1 - Walked off a side track in to a wooded area and big deer bounded across right in front of me, sadly there was a tree to my left and so I couldn't get a shot of that one.

2, 3 and 4 - Walking along a side path in the woods I saw one deer cross the path ahead of me and thought, damn I've just missed another one...... and then 2 more bounded a across as well! :weep:

5, 6 and 7 - whilst quietly observing dragonflies at very off-the-beaten-track pond, I kept hearing various rustles and twig cracks over the course of a couple of hours but at one point I was crouching down facing away from the pond photographing a dragonfly when I heard a lot of clopping and rustling behind me. I turned my head reeeaaaalllllyyyy sllllooowwwwlllyyyy to see 3 deer (looked like 2 adults and little un) on the far side of the pond, about 30ft away from me. I started to turn my body with my camera and one of them looked up, ears in my direction....... and then they shot off back in to the woods.

:weep: :weep: :weep:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:32 pm

Bad luck Kev :D Not that I disbelieve you but that does sound a little like a fisherman's tale. You should have seen the one(s) that got away! :)

Kev
Site Admin

Post by Kev » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:59 pm

haha
Well if the weather is nice next weekend I'll give it another go, and this time I won't turn my back on the pond!!

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:17 am

Well ... :eek: :shake: :( :hug2: