WHAT ELSE I SAW TODAY

All the other creepy crawlies and animals that interact with your garden and the countryside
Kev
Site Admin

Re: WHAT ELSE I SAW TODAY

Post by Kev » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:13 pm

Well.... saturday.
When I was in the woods I saw something like a very large squirrel bound across the bridleway ahead of me. Sadly too quick to photograph but it was black/dark with quite a bushy tail and bounded with 2 feet at a time like a squirrel does. I couldn't think what it might be but after seeing an item on the One Show with a pine marten in it I think that could well have been what I saw. All the more pity not to have snapped it as they're quite reclusive creatures.

Placido

Post by Placido » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:46 pm

Oh wow, Kev, what a spot :eek: and what a pity. Imagine that in the competition. :photo: :shrug: ah well .......

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:35 am

Good one, Kev :nod: :D

Wonder though if it was a black squirrel :scratch:

Kev
Site Admin

Post by Kev » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:23 am

If it was it was huge! It was 2-3 times the size of a squirrel. It crossed a 20ft wide bridle way in only 2 bounds.

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:54 am

:yikes: :laugh: That bit didn't register :rolleyes: :laugh:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:18 pm

Without wishing to pry into your private life is it possible to say where the sighting was. Was it any where near habitation?

Kev
Site Admin

Post by Kev » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:00 pm

It was exactly in the centre of this
https://goo.gl/maps/iV8vD

I was standing just to the top right where the bridleway 'junction' is.
It jumped across, roughly where the brown line is that crosses the greenery in the centre, going right to left from my viewpoint.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:17 pm

If it was a Pine Marten it was a very exiting spot in that area of the country. It may be worth enquiring if anyone else has had a similar sighting. there are a couple of other possibilities as to what you saw. A Polecat is not dissimilar( the male is quite big) and there is an outside chance it was a hunting Moggy but I'm not saying you didn't see what you thought you saw.

Kev
Site Admin

Post by Kev » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:38 pm

I'm certain it wasn't a cat. It ran/jumped in the same way as a squirrel does with that distinctive 2 footed bound.

They do have a log book near the entrance of that wood so next time I'm up there I'll have a scan through the book and see if anyone else has seen it.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:07 pm

I shifted my garden waste bin today and to my surprise there was a very much awake Smooth Newt underneath. They go almost black over winter except for their belly which is orange with black spots. I see the occasional Frog during the winter when I am gardening but this is only the second time in nearly 30 years I've seen a newt. :)