Squirrel

All the other creepy crawlies and animals that interact with your garden and the countryside
Jacksparrow

Re: Squirrel

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:35 pm

One year I had a Squirrel that was burying Walnuts everywhere in my garden including the lawn. I cursed it roundly at the time but I have to say it's efforts to make good after the excavation were a lot tidier than Placi's beast.

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:47 pm

Huh, just my luck !! An untidy excavator.

Errrmmmm, where were the walnuts coming from ??

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:51 pm

Placido wrote:Huh, just my luck !! An untidy excavator.

Errrmmmm, where were the walnuts coming from ??
I have a near neighbour who has a decent sized tree. It is now several years since we had a resident squirrel so walnut burying has not been a problem. :)

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:46 am

Septimus (for it is he) is still doing a very creditable reprise of Capability Brown on my back lawn banghead but twice yesterday I observed him actually digging up whatever he had previously cached and eating the morsel.
There are plenty of menu choices on the ground so I can only surmise that he was unhappy with the location of both sites and decided to cross them out, eat the evidence and begin again.
As I speak he is beginning again, again ...... :( :rolleyes: :grumpy:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:18 pm

Placido wrote:Septimus (for it is he) is still doing a very creditable reprise of Capability Brown on my back lawn banghead but twice yesterday I observed him actually digging up whatever he had previously cached and eating the morsel.
There are plenty of menu choices on the ground so I can only surmise that he was unhappy with the location of both sites and decided to cross them out, eat the evidence and begin again.
As I speak he is beginning again, again ...... :( :rolleyes: :grumpy:
Have you considered a novelty putting green to take advantage of the excavations. It could be a money spinner as you could sell HB and assorted small snacks to the customers :munch: :squirrel:

Placido

Post by Placido » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:31 pm

Early this morn I discovered, somewhat to my discomfiture, that Septimus (for it is still he) reads Our Forum !! :wow: - Who Knew ?!?!?!?!?!
He has taken on board Jacksparrow's elegant but unsolicited solution to my back lawn problem - ie. the launching of Krazy Golf and the provision of comestibles therefor as I espied him commencing the excavation of what I believe is referred to somewhat ungrammatically as The-Back-Nine on my front lawn !!

Either this lad has a real eye for business or we're in for one doozie of a winter :goodevil: :shrug:

Placido

Post by Placido » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:41 pm

So today I found one of his re-opened sites and had a peek inside the wee hole. There was a half-eaten half-peanut :) which he probably got from a suet ball.
He's a character this one - gives me endless hours of fun :squirrel: :wife:

Placido

Post by Placido » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:55 pm

Yesterday whilst observing The Lodger ( :squirrel: :wife:) effortlessly remodelling the bunker at the 5th hole I resolved to turn my impotent fury to scientific use.
Recalling that I was in possession of a quantity of chestnuts (reported elsewhere :rolleyes:) I set about peeling a raw specimen and after fifteen minutes I cut same into four pieces and placed them on the back lawn, withdrew into hiding and awaited events.
This morning they were still there and in fact as I type they are still there.

There are lessons, nay, conclusions, to be drawn from this exercise .......

(No Greg jokes please :( .)

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:07 am

:squirrel: They probably like them whole with the skins on - to bury them ... maybe :shrug: and this one wasn't hungry having nibbled for ages on your bird food :bunny:

Placido

Post by Placido » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:49 pm

I cannot believe a whole year has gone by :jawdrop:. The Lodger (or rellie thereof) has returned !!
Whilst grinding some roasted acorns for a mug of ersatz this affie, I ascertain that across the lawn with purposeful intent comes a grey squirrel. Haven't seen one (mercifully) for ages.
Up onto the pine table and straight into excavations of a vacant flowerpot into which it popped an unknown item and spent time carefully covering it up.

It'll be the lawn next, I know it will :( :weep:
:christmas: everyone :wife: