FOXES

All the other creepy crawlies and animals that interact with your garden and the countryside
nuthatch

FOXES

Post by nuthatch » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:05 pm

Noticed an egg in a corner of the garden behind the shed - foxy must have stashed or abandoned it there. It's been there since Sunday night/Monday morning and they have been taking the egg out of the dish since then .... but not last night.

Be funny if everyone round here found a hen's egg in their garden :fox:

Placido

Re: FOXES

Post by Placido » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:40 pm

Is there a poultry farm near you, Nuthatch ?? Where on earth did it come from ?!?
(Jacksparrow, don't answer that thank you.)

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:55 am

It's most likely the one I had put out on Sunday night, Placi - I put one in a bowl every night but in the bird garden quite a way from behind the shed.

I read that they take them away, pierce the shell and suck out the contents.

Anyway this morning it had finally gone together with the usual egg in the bowl and the fat block :fox:

Placido

Post by Placido » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:01 pm

Oh I see - you put out the whole egg. I 'spect the foxes put the crushed shells around their lettuces to keep away the slugs. Very thoughtful of you.

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:45 am

:laugh:

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:05 am

Oh :) there's an egg under the hedge just across from the shed - I don't know which one this would be - if it's the old one it could be cooked by now :hot: or have gone off :fox:

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:56 am

I threw the egg from under the hedge away this morning - I reckon it was the old one - but I couldn't face cracking it to find out :( :) :fox:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:37 pm

Seen a fox this morning quite near to where I had seen the heron yesterday. Had something in its mouth. Either a small rabbit or maybe even a partridge. It never seen me @ first, but when it did scarpered. Was in very good condition, lovely coat and real bushy tail. First fox I have seen in years.

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:56 pm

:fox: That must have been a surprise, Willpar :)

I saw a fox in the garden on Thursday night eating sunflower hearts - I thought it must have been quite young because at first I thought it was a cat but there again I could see only its head properly before it walked away down the steps.

This morning there was an egg amongst the tomato plants:

This egg must have been from Thursday night as on Friday night and last night I put out an egg yolk like I do for a hedgie, instead of a whole egg.

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:34 am

I went out a very few minutes later last night with the egg yolks and I think I disturbed foxy as I saw something rush into the hedge - I could see it hovering on the pavement.

Could have been a cat but when I went back in and came out again with more supplies the fat block had gone. It didn't return for the egg.

I think, like Squirrel has told us, they get used to what time food appears.

The whole egg is still amongst the tomato plants :fox: