Drakes Island

For everything nature based that doesn't fit anywhere else!
Willpar

Drakes Island

Post by Willpar » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:23 pm

This island was bought several years ago but getting planning permission is a different matter.
See here why.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-30722871

Jacksparrow

Re: Drakes Island

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:31 pm

There was a time not all that long ago that seeing a Little Egret was an exiting experience but they are now quite common in comparison. It is true they are still officially a rare bird and I wouldn't like to see their henronry disturbed but I think the developer may yet get his way.

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:50 pm

I wonder who he bought it from.

I always find it almost laughable how various people's ancestors acquired their land centuries ago :(

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:48 pm

Hi Nuthatch. I believe the island was bought from the city council. It was always planned to do something with the island. But it has taken that long that the egrets moved in, and now the council wants to protect them. Most of the buildings there cant be touched anyways because of their status.
But the latest is that the council has deferred their decision, to think on it more. The company told the council they will take it farther if they don't get permission, and could cost the council megabucks to defend their actions. should they refuse planning.