Your Garden Hedgehogs

All of that essential hedgie chat about our favourite spiky friends
Willpar

Re: Your Garden Hedgehogs

Post by Willpar » Tue Oct 15, 2024 5:32 pm

Last night had observed a late juvenile go into a feeder that is seldom used. Just looked into it and there is a mother with two juveniles in there. Not really tiny juveniles, so am a bit surprised that they are all still together.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Oct 15, 2024 7:20 pm

Willpar wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2024 5:32 pm
Last night had observed a late juvenile go into a feeder that is seldom used. Just looked into it and there is a mother with two juveniles in there. Not really tiny juveniles, so am a bit surprised that they are all still together.
While I am delighted you are having some juveniles late in the season it is a concern about how they will cope if the cold weather comes early.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Tue Oct 15, 2024 8:28 pm

Hi JS, the cold they can cope with, however deep snow would be another matter, as it would be hard for them to get around, but those kind of winters are quite rare down south. Yes it could happen, but will be prepared if it does. Can put a dish in the feeder if still there and keep it topped up. The past few winters have had juveniles around with no problems. Can always bring them inside, but can get stressed out, so would prefer to keep an eye on them outside.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Oct 16, 2024 7:42 pm

Willpar wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2024 8:28 pm
Hi JS, the cold they can cope with, however deep snow would be another matter, as it would be hard for them to get around, but those kind of winters are quite rare down south. Yes it could happen, but will be prepared if it does. Can put a dish in the feeder if still there and keep it topped up. The past few winters have had juveniles around with no problems. Can always bring them inside, but can get stressed out, so would prefer to keep an eye on them outside.
I'm sure they will get A1 attention if the need arises.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Oct 22, 2024 8:05 pm

It is now 4 or 5 days since any hog food was taken overnight. I thought it was still too mild for any hibernation attempt so perhaps there is a better offer elsewhere.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Tue Oct 22, 2024 8:43 pm

They will still hibernate even if a bit on the mild side JS. my numbers have dropped this past week.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Oct 23, 2024 7:50 pm

Willpar wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2024 8:43 pm
They will still hibernate even if a bit on the mild side JS. my numbers have dropped this past week.
Thanks willpar.