WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

All your bird talk in here
Butterfly

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Post by Butterfly » Mon Aug 12, 2024 10:26 am

I heard lots of magpies distressed alert calls yesterday afternoon just across the road, and I knew that a predator is near by. So I looked outside and saw a sparowhawk on the ground. I thought it caught a pray, as they do that when they catch something, pin them on the ground. As it just happened, I decided to go and see what it is. However, as I moved closer, it didn't move. Only when I got really close I saw that its dead :( . There was no sign of any injury or trauma. It was very odd and I have no idea how/why it died. It looked really beautiful 💔

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Aug 12, 2024 7:20 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 10:26 am
I heard lots of magpies distressed alert calls yesterday afternoon just across the road, and I knew that a predator is near by. So I looked outside and saw a sparowhawk on the ground. I thought it caught a pray, as they do that when they catch something, pin them on the ground. As it just happened, I decided to go and see what it is. However, as I moved closer, it didn't move. Only when I got really close I saw that its dead :( . There was no sign of any injury or trauma. It was very odd and I have no idea how/why it died. It looked really beautiful 💔
Could it have been struck by a vehicle? They fly very fast and low sometimes leaving themselves vulnerable to unseen threats.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Wed Aug 14, 2024 8:23 am

Jacksparrow wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 7:20 pm
Butterfly wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 10:26 am
Could it have been struck by a vehicle? They fly very fast and low sometimes leaving themselves vulnerable to unseen threats.
That's what I thought too, but it didn't look like it was struck by a vehicle, I and another neighbour who came to see if the bird needs help inspected it and we couldn't see any sign of any trauma, no missing/roughed up feathers, no broken bones/wings , no blood anywhere, absolutely nothing. Very odd :unsure:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Wed Sep 04, 2024 8:13 am

Out with the bird food in the garden this morning and a goose flew over.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Sep 04, 2024 7:40 pm

We get geese occasionally usually flying in formation honking loudly. Always Canada Geese.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Wed Sep 04, 2024 8:08 pm

Nice sunny morning and part of the afternoon. High of 18c.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Sep 16, 2024 7:34 pm

I have not seen a blackbird in my garden for about a month. Today there were two.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:23 pm

Good news JS, not seen any in the garden for around two weeks now.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Oct 07, 2024 8:17 pm

I had a GSW in the rowan tree this morning. The tree has some dead branches and he was knocking the bark off looking for insects.
In the front garden I had 3 Jackdaws and 2 Magpies all at the same time. Strangely they were all doing the same thing which was looking for spiders and insects on my neighbours trellis fence.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Mon Oct 07, 2024 8:39 pm

Nice bird to have in the garden JS. Never had one here, although only a stones throw from the woods.