WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

All your bird talk in here
Willpar

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Post by Willpar » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:12 pm

Not seen by me worse luck, as i have not been there for several years. But was told this morning that one of the Isle Of Wight, white tailed sea eagles was spotted not too far from where i live. it was reported to wherever it gets reported to. Is a tidal river that is was spotted.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:36 pm

Willpar wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:12 pm
Not seen by me worse luck, as i have not been there for several years. But was told this morning that one of the Isle Of Wight, white tailed sea eagles was spotted not too far from where i live. it was reported to wherever it gets reported to. Is a tidal river that is was spotted.
A substantial predator. People should keep a close eye on small domestic pets. There are very few new born lambs at present so the farmers should be safe.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:46 pm

I've seen one goldfinch coming to my garden lately, such a gorgeous little bird :love: , and today I've seen 3 of them eating together :woohoo: . They seem to like a tiny hanging tray that blue/great/coal tits love. Bluey didn't like new guests today and I saw him/her trying to bump them off the feeder :laugh:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:08 pm

Nice bird to have in the garden butterfly. Not seen one in a while in my garden.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:53 pm

I'm happy to say goldfinch are regular visitors to my SF heart feeder although the numbers have dropped compared to a few years ago. A drop has been recorded all over the country by the BTO and at present no-one knows why although several theories are being considered.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:37 pm

There seem to be a drop in numbers in many bird species which is very worrying :(

peregrine

Post by peregrine » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:00 pm

I have put out nyjer (depending how you spell it) seed in the past in the appropriate feeder. Only occasionally did Goldfinches come it to feed on them. However since I started feeding sunflower heart chips I am inundated with Goldfinches, getting 20+ frequently, on feeders and on the ground. I tried peanuts for the Tits without joy, only GSW would feed on them rarely. Again the Tits went for the sunflower hear chips which is now my main bird feed.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:35 pm

Not just today but every day. I sometimes wonder when watching the birds visiting during the hours of daylight whether they are different birds or the old favourites returning time and time again. The only ones that I am 100% certain of are the feral pigeons who have individual markings and colours. Sometime with the others you can recognise an individual from a certain defect or mannerism but mainly especially the sparrows they all look as though they came from the same mould :shrug:
"Why care? I hear you asking and to a certain extent I don't but for the future I think I will be issuing name badges and a signing in book for all visitors.
:nod:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:08 pm

Jacksparrow wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:35 pm

"Why care? I hear you asking and to a certain extent I don't but for the future I think I will be issuing name badges and a signing in book for all visitors.
:nod:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:42 pm

I heard a piercing sound of red kite above me while in the garden today, and when I looked up I saw a red kite chasing a crow :eek: ! The chase went on for few minutes and at one point I thought that the red kite grabbed it, or at least made contact, it was that close :eek: I couldn't believe my eyes, never seen a scene like that before. The crow must have been .... well a crow :laugh: , and got close to their nest or something, but sure did something to piss red kite off that's for sure :laugh: . Had a lucky escape too :nod: