WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

All your bird talk in here
Jacksparrow

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:59 pm

LTTs for me too. About 5 I think but they keep flitting around so an exact count was impossible. :shake:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:49 am

Wren in the carpark this morning. Was trying to tackle a mealworm that i put out for the waggies.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:42 pm

I have a good view on one magpie nest from my kitchen window, so I can see what they are doing all year around. I see the owners, the couple, near by guarding it all the time, they are never far from it. I don't see other magpies near by, only occasional fly by. This morning when I glanced at it, I saw the couple very distressed and vocal but couldn't see why :unsure: . The couple kept flying around the nest and being vocal and agitated. Than I saw one crow's head popping out of the nest :eek: . The two crows were actually inside the nest! :faint: Than one magpie flew away and one stayed still flying around and trying to get crows out of the nest. Few minutes later, I saw magpies flying toward that tree from all sides! It was such an organised attack :wow: . Crows left after a while because they just couldn't hold the ground any more, they were well outnumbered :nod: . I couldn't help but being moved by the comradeship of the meggies :yes: . They managed to get their nest back!

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:47 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:42 pm
I have a good view on one magpie nest from my kitchen window, so I can see what they are doing all year around. I see the owners, the couple, near by guarding it all the time, they are never far from it. I don't see other magpies near by, only occasional fly by. This morning when I glanced at it, I saw the couple very distressed and vocal but couldn't see why :unsure: . The couple kept flying around the nest and being vocal and agitated. Than I saw one crow's head popping out of the nest :eek: . The two crows were actually inside the nest! :faint: Than one magpie flew away and one stayed still flying around and trying to get crows out of the nest. Few minutes later, I saw magpies flying toward that tree from all sides! It was such an organised attack :wow: . Crows left after a while because they just couldn't hold the ground any more, they were well outnumbered :nod: . I couldn't help but being moved by the comradeship of the meggies :yes: . They managed to get their nest back!
They invest a great deal of time and effort producing that nest and they don't intend to lose it to squatters whoever they are. :)

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:35 pm

.......or rather what I heard today. I was out in the garden just before sunrise this morning and my birds were being very noisy. The sparrows who inhabit my big clump of ivy were all saying "good morning" to one another while the Robin was in full voice Also in the background a GSW was cackling occasionally. It's still winter but I think the sap is starting to rise.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:19 pm

Was outside the front door this afternoon, calling the wagtails. Then from left to right, something flashed by. Then a moment later flashed back from right to left following the path. Had to gain height to get over the roofs. But could see it was a bird of prey that time.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:52 pm

Willpar wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:19 pm
Was outside the front door this afternoon, calling the wagtails. Then from left to right, something flashed by. Then a moment later flashed back from right to left following the path. Had to gain height to get over the roofs. But could see it was a bird of prey that time.
Sparrowhawk?

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:30 am

More than likely Jacksparrow. Must admit with hawks am not that good. First i have seen in a while, around 11 months i reckon. As there was a kill last February here.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:45 am

Things were looking up for a short while. Four goldfinches in the hawthorn, and a wren searching the nooks and crannies.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:06 am

Is getting rather busy. Have five wagtails squabbling over the mealworms, and two wrens having a go in the hedge.