SPARROWHAWK

All your bird talk in here
Jacksparrow

Re: SPARROWHAWK

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:39 pm

This beautiful and deadly female Sparrowhawk visited my neighbour's garden today. I did not see the kill but I think the victim was a Collared Dove.
50442041486_d64d4cef1a_k.jpg

Dunnock

Post by Dunnock » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:37 am

What a pic. :wow:

The pose you've captured it in really shows it off.

A female sparrowhawk catching prey is arguably our most spectacular garden wildlife event.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:14 am

Jacksparrow wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:39 pm
This beautiful and deadly female Sparrowhawk visited my neighbour's garden today. I did not see the kill but I think the victim was a Collared Dove.
50442041486_d64d4cef1a_k.jpg
:wow: what a scene! One can't help but admire those awesome birds :) , but poor collard dove, RIP :(

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:04 pm

A good meal for the hawk.

Placido

Post by Placido » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:35 pm

Super spontaneous shot, Jacksparrow :clap:.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:02 pm

I had a sparrowhawk killing one of the starlings just outside my garden earlier :( . I didn't see it but I heard the magpie alarm call ( I learned to recognise it) , went outside and startled the sparrowhawk who flew away and left its still barely alive, half plucked prey :weep:
I wish they would kill the prey before they start plucking!!!! :hissyfit:
Its so distressing to see :(

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:43 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:02 pm
I had a sparrowhawk killing one of the starlings just outside my garden earlier :( . I didn't see it but I heard the magpie alarm call ( I learned to recognise it) , went outside and startled the sparrowhawk who flew away and left its still barely alive, half plucked prey :weep:
I wish they would kill the prey before they start plucking!!!! :hissyfit:
Its so distressing to see :(
I agree. I saw one with a blackbird 6 months ago. It must have been 10 minutes before the poor bird succumbed.

peregrine

Post by peregrine » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:26 pm

DSC01886-001.JPG
A couple of days ago I was sitting at the computer when something hit the window. It sounded bigger that the usual Starling or sparrow. Out the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of something. Othe other half went to the window to see if there was a casualty. There were a few feathers to the right of some pot plants and she went out to investigate what bird it was. As she approached suddenly a female Sparrowhawk appeared from below a bush on what was at one time the rockery. She veered to the right and flew toward the wood with what appeared to be a pigeon in het talons. The pics show where she came from, between the garden light and the feeder. She was too quick for me to get the camera.

P.S. Report in Daily Record regarding Avian Flu at Caerlaverock

An outbreak of bird flu has been confirmed at a Dumfriesshire wildlife centre.
Tests were carried out after more than 50 birds were found dead at Caerlaverock National Nature Reserve.
Manager Suzanne Mcintyre, said yesterday: “Last week we found four dead barnacle geese on the reserve.
As per the government reporting protocols a carcass was collected for testing.
However, over the past couple of days, there has been a noticeable increase in the number of dead birds - approximately 50 dead barnacle geese as well as whooper swans and a kestrel and swabs of each species were taken and sent for testing.
Results from the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) have identified the presence of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza H5N1 in a whooper swan.
Based on what is happening around the country, we were expecting confirmation that it was avian flu.”

She added: “A risk assessment is under way to review the current status, in light of the high number of recent wild bird findings, and it is likely that the risk of poultry and captive bird exposure to HPAI H5 across Great Britain will be amended in the next few days.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:46 pm

Poor pigeon, RIP :( . Sparrowhawks are never seen in the act, or very very rarely, I assume because they are so fast and hard to detect before its too late.
That story about avian flu at a Dumfriesshire wildlife centre is so sad :( .

peregrine

Post by peregrine » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:48 am

This is the second kill I have had and the first time I have seen the Sparrowhawk with its prey. Other time I came home to a Collared Dove spread out on its back, couple of wings and a tail and nothing much more.