Your Garden Hedgehogs

All of that essential hedgie chat about our favourite spiky friends
Jacksparrow

Re: Your Garden Hedgehogs

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:43 pm

If I'm honest I've been a little concerned that something had befallen my visiting Hog.. I had not seen it nor had there been any CCs. I put the bowl of food out last night more in hope than expectation. As the evening was warm we had not shut the patio door while watching the box and we were distracted by the sound of someone eating a bag of crisps very loudly :) . The hog was back and seemingly very hungry :nod: :hedgehog:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:20 pm

Numbers can drop now this time of year. The females may be giving birth or getting ready. I only have around two to three at the moment.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:12 pm

Update on my hedgehogs. I have around two at the moment, but could be three. One is nesting in the lodge at the far end of the path.

peregrine

Post by peregrine » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:08 am

Gulls still playing havoc with the hedgie food and the water. Position food where the gulls can't get to it and was wrong Dishes are metal. I thought the shiny metal was attracting the gulls so changed the water one to a brown clay dish. Didn't make much different, gulls still went for the dish. Has anyone else had problems with gulls and how did you solve it?

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:38 pm

peregrine wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:08 am
Gulls still playing havoc with the hedgie food and the water. Position food where the gulls can't get to it and was wrong Dishes are metal. I thought the shiny metal was attracting the gulls so changed the water one to a brown clay dish. Didn't make much different, gulls still went for the dish. Has anyone else had problems with gulls and how did you solve it?
I have had problems with Cats and Foxes but not gulls. I suspect the answer lies with what food you're offering. I expect Willpar will be more knowledgeable as he has Gulls in his area. :nod:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:08 am

Must say peregrine, that is one i have never heard of before. I get the odd gull on the roof opposite me, but have never came down into the garden. Do you have a feeding station for the hedgehogs to go into? That would be your safest option. I have several of them in the garden. The water i leave outside in a couple of places. So i think the answer is a feeding station, either from a plastic storage box or a ready made one. Riverside woodcraft make great feeding stations. Plastic does tend to get condensation i may add.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:11 am

Judging by how high the hedgehog is to top of the step, i would say this is a this years young one. But an early one. The adults that come are always higher than the top of the step.

Placido

Post by Placido » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:55 pm

To my great surprise, at lunchtime - bad news :( - a young hedgie trundling across the back lawn. It seemed to be fine but it's never a good sign in the daylight. I'm not optimistic :unsure:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:49 pm

It could be hungry or thirsty or both. The recent dry spell has not been ideal for Hogs hunting for refreshment.

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:31 am

Oh, I do hope you're right, Jacksparrow. Didn't see it again and it was very active and calm :shrug: