WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

All your bird talk in here
Willpar

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Post by Willpar » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:55 am

Nice little wren searching the hedge early this morning, looking for insects no doubt. Did fly up onto a bracket, so could get a nice view of it.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:38 pm

Placido wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:06 am
It was a revelation to me that they actually eat on the wing, presumably that's if they have to rather than as a matter of choice.
It had more sense than to perch on the foremost mizzenmast mast (Naval technicality there) to consume its lunch.
The commentary failed to divulge the bird's rank.
Flight Lieutenant :nod:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:42 pm

Nice one.

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:55 am

Oh gaaawwwd .... :rolleyes:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:51 pm

From the first day I fed the garden birds right up until the present day I have always put food scraps out on the bird table. Over the years the usual takers have been the Sturks plus a variety of others.
Recently I have noticed my offerings disappearing in double quick time but I haven't seen who was benefiting. :shake: Today that changed when I happened to glance out of the window shortly after my latest offering. The culprits(or lucky recipients) were three Jackdaws who gobbled down as much as possible in a few seconds and then loaded their beaks with anything remaining. 15 seconds and it was all over :nod:
One of my Magpies rocked up 10 minutes later but the cupboard was bare :(

Placido

Post by Placido » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:47 am

Fine Dining at Le Chateau :nod:. Advance ordering is advised ......

Interesting point actually - I don't put out scraps, only commercial bird food, 'cos I'm very wary of rats.
Not too far away is a train line and a station so that sort of governs my decision. However, I often think regretfully, "The birds would like that". So nobody wins :shrug:.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:28 pm

Placido wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:47 am
Fine Dining at Le Chateau :nod:. Advance ordering is advised ......

Interesting point actually - I don't put out scraps, only commercial bird food, 'cos I'm very wary of rats.
Not too far away is a train line and a station so that sort of governs my decision. However, I often think regretfully, "The birds would like that". So nobody wins :shrug:.
As you may recall I've had issues with Rats in the past but it is one of the reasons I tolerate Cat visits outside normal bird visiting hours. I have note seen one at all this year and my trailcam has been out for most of the summer with no visits seen. :)

Placido

Post by Placido » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:45 am

Mmmmmmm, yes, I get that, Jacksparrow. As regular readers may know :rolleyes:, I am blessed with the overflow from The Cat House across the way banghead, (and have only ever seen one rat, a year or so ago) but we must agree to disagree on this :goodevil:.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:42 pm

A Blackbird pillaging the cotoneaster berries. There are still plenty available. All the grapes are gone now. It could be the same bird.

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:08 am

Don't have a cotoneaster but I know blackies like them.
My rowan berries (I think there were 17 :rolleyes:this year) have all gone suddenly and I watched a blackbird finish them off.