BIRD FEEDING

All your bird talk in here
Willpar

Re: BIRD FEEDING

Post by Willpar » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:38 am

I have come across some new food pellets for birds and have bought a 2kg pack with my other purchase of suet pellets to see how they go. Not cheap so would be best to mix with other high protein food and use say during the winter months. The pellets are called britbits superfood bird food pellets. They have a seed called ancient quinoa grain, which is very high in protein. Not cheap, but mixed with other food should help it go farther. Only one supplier that I know of, and their own invention. They are actually farmers who make and grow a lot of their own bird food.

Called Ivel Valley wild bird food. And find it in suet pellets. Be interesting to see how well the pellets are received by the birds.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:28 pm

It seems the cooler, damper weather has re-ignited my sparrow's appetites. The consumption of the seed mix had dropped off noticeably but now they are back to breeding time levels. :)

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:33 pm

It seems the Goldfinches have had a good breeding season. My 8 port feeder loaded with SF hearts is in constant use(except for when I'm in the garden).The Colly Doves liked to think it was theirs but are now having to wait in line for a turn. :)

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:28 pm

:clap: Very pleased to hear that, Jacksparrow, on both counts.

Kev
Site Admin

Post by Kev » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:35 pm

As it's wet and horrible outside I thought I'd give the birdies a bit of a stripy treat today

Placido

Post by Placido » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:04 am

:rofl2: Wonderful, Kev, good giggle.
Is that 'C' Wing opposite ? :unsure:

Kev
Site Admin

Post by Kev » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:12 pm

haha :)
Used to be an old hospital. It was converted in to apartments 20 years ago.

When you mix up the feeds it's actually interesting to see what the food preference is. The suet goes first, then the sunflower seeds and the nuts last. It's amazing how they know which one gives them the most energy for the least effort.

Placido

Post by Placido » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:44 pm

Converted hospital - I've been round one of these. Actually it's an old mental hospital (Victorian, I think) and the apts are absolutely wonderful; full of little quirky places and each flat is different, obviously. Far far better than knocking down a lovely old building :yes:

Kev
Site Admin

Post by Kev » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:52 pm

grrrr
My tube seed feeder just fell off, dropped one floor down and broke right after I'd filled it up. Probably my fault. I don't think the blueies have worked out how to undo knots! Oh well, the blackbirds will have a feast as they don't come and visit the feeders. The blue tits look a bit confused as to where the other magic refilling food tree has gone.

So I'm pondering if it's time to try something different.

Anyone tried these things?
https://www.livingwithbirds.com/feeders ... uxe-feeder

Might work better for the robins as I think they struggle a bit on the feeders.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:02 pm

I have one of those in the hawthorn kev. Blueys like it and the starlings. The ring perch on mine I glued as it kept falling off.