POND LINER

Fish, aquatic plants, amphibians, fountains and everything else pond related.
Jacksparrow

POND LINER

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu May 30, 2019 8:19 pm

I have two ponds. One is a fibreglass formed shape and the other(what I call the nature pond) I designed myself using a good quality liner I bought from an aquatic nursery. This was about 20 years ago and I have noticed it is now starting to show it's age.The worst parts are those exposed to the sunlight where the fabric supporting the butyl rubber is beginning to show through. The is actually a hole in one place but it is above the usual waterline so is not a major problem(yet).
The upshot from all this is that the time has come to replace the liner :( . It is not a job for the present as the pond is home the hundreds of tadpoles and loads of other organisms but come the Autumn when activity is tailing off I have some work to do. I am considering a re-design and introducing a new set of marginals. Something to look forward to. :shake:

Placido

Re: POND LINER

Post by Placido » Fri May 31, 2019 8:40 am

My pond liner was punctured by a blackthorn runner situated some 2 yards from the pond :eek:. Same butyl type as yours, Jacksparrow. I have to hire muscle to start from scratch.
Wanta job ?

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri May 31, 2019 7:59 pm

Placido wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:40 am
My pond liner was punctured by a blackthorn runner situated some 2 yards from the pond :eek:. Same butyl type as yours, Jacksparrow. I have to hire muscle to start from scratch.
Wanta job ?
Thank you for your very kind offer but a quick glance at my engagement diary reveals I'm fully booked for the foreseeable future. Should I get a cancellation you will be the first to know. Kind Regards from your ever so `umble servant jacksparrow :)

Kev
Site Admin

Post by Kev » Fri May 31, 2019 9:06 pm

Can you dig a new one elsewhere, new shape and layout (I seem to remember the RSPB have a pond building guide) and then transfer the wildlife over? Then fill in the old one.

Placido

Post by Placido » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:22 am

:eek: :faint:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:29 pm

Kev wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:06 pm
Can you dig a new one elsewhere, new shape and layout (I seem to remember the RSPB have a pond building guide) and then transfer the wildlife over? Then fill in the old one.
Unfortunately relocation is not an option. My main concern is that the re-lined pool will not be ready for the breeding frogs when they return next March. I have the other pond but because the spring sun doesn't reach it until later the frogs prefer the one I'm having problems with.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:54 pm

I made as tart on clearing the pond today in preparation for the intended liner replacement. It has proved to be tough going as the Yellow Flag Iris and the Purple Loosestrife at the shallow end have become very intertwined. :( Some progress was made and enough growth removed to nearly fill my garden rubbish wheelie bin. :nod:
Two very young frogs were disturbed but quickly rehomed to my other pond. :nod:

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:35 am

Exhausted just reading that. I admire your industry, Jacksparrow, just enjoy being at one with Nature :rolleyes:

greenfinch2

Post by greenfinch2 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:03 pm

Sounds like a big job there JS ,hope it goes smoothly.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:57 pm

greenfinch2 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:03 pm
Sounds like a big job there JS ,hope it goes smoothly.
Thankyou greenfinch2. There is more work planned for tomorrow. I still have quite a bit of stuff to get out of the pond at the shallow end before I can think about doing the liner :(