Variety of birds

All your bird talk in here
johnd83

Variety of birds

Post by johnd83 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:20 pm

I have just treated myself to a Niger seed bird feeder. As well as my mix seed, suet pellets, fat balls and suet block. I am hoping to attract more variety of garden birds to my garden. At the moment this year. I have mainly been getting starlings and house sparrows. Not much of anything else. Does the change of feed make any difference or is it just really down to pot luck.

As always any advice is mucj appreciated.

Placido

Re: Variety of birds

Post by Placido » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:30 am

Niger seeds are a bit 'marmite-y' I think: some folk go for it and others (inc. me) have never had any success with them.
They're rather a niche market anyway and it's usually the finch family which is attracted.
However, if you ever get a nuthatch be sure to take a photo !! :D

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:32 am

I think its good to have variety John, and to place the food in different places, not all next to each other, because remember, many smaller birds get spooked when a bigger bird lands on a feeder and they fly away. If you have feeders away from each other they will feel more comfortable and not pushed away :) . I bought niger seeds once in hope to attract finches but never had any luck with it so I don't put it out any more :shrug: . However, I have had different finches around few times eating the seeds that I put for blue tits :D

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:49 pm

My Sparrows occasionally have a go at the niger seed but the original intended customers(Goldfinches) had their heads turned by sunflower hearts and seldom return :(

greenfinch2

Post by greenfinch2 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:26 pm

Nobody ate my niger every one eats the sunflower hearts