WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

All your bird talk in here
Willpar

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Post by Willpar » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:28 pm

Have starlings here taking away beakfulls of food. I have ordered a caged mealworm feeder as the starlings are nicking the bluetits live food. I have bowls of soaked dry mealworms out for the starlings now. I just put hot water on them wait to cool and put out, water and all. Wont dry out again that way.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:41 pm

I have one of those ground cages Willpar and starlings don't have a problem getting inside it, nor does the squirrel :shrug: . I don't know what type of cage is yours but make sure the mesh size is smaller, maybe that will help :)
Talking of starlings ... back in January I mentioned that I have a starling with a bad leg in my garden, and was quite worried about it. My heart melted today when I saw her (I know now its "her" by the beak colour) still hopping around as it seems to be a permanent disability, and taking beakfulls of mealworm away, clearly for her babies :love: . I love that little bird!!! <3 <3 :hug2:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:43 pm

In ordered the hanging type butterfly. Had a tenner off. Probably wont get it until Wednesday due to the holiday weekend.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:03 pm

My cage live feeder has just arrived. Quite large for what it is. Will put it up tomorrow morning. Just have to decide where to put it now. I have an idea, will see. will do a video when it is up and running.

Placido

Post by Placido » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:13 pm

Un vid - I mean, a video would be good, Willpar :nod:.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:10 am

:blackbird: I have put up the live feeder this morning. Not where I wanted as I would not have seen it. So have put it in a void in the hawthorn. I can see it from the front door, and just the bottom section from the kitchen window, where I seem to do all the watching. Have put some live mealworms in the dish. First visitor was a starling within minutes of putting it up, but could not get in.

Update, have seen two blue tits using the new feeder. :nod:

Another update, a sparrow got in as well. :D

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:40 pm

A most impressive piece of kit, Willpar. Gives the little birds a chance.

Must say I'm surprised that my hawthorns are just as advanced as yours - usually your're ahead.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:44 pm

All the live mealworms have gone from the new feeder. No more until tomorrow now.

The hawthorn is just coming into flower placi. The pyracantha hedge wont be to far behind.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:32 pm

I've had a feeder like that for a few years. It is Starling proof but ideal for Sparrows, Robins and the Tit family. I have some live mealworms on the way so it should be getting plenty of use soon.

Placido

Post by Placido » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:50 am

Another in our occasional series: Wildlife In The Countries Ruled By The ICC - here we have a pair of black kites living lovingly in the centre of the beautiful megapolis of New Delhi :).
He was presenting his inammorata with a lovely carefully chosen stick :unsure: which makes a change from the usual morsel of food normally exchanged by British birds :shrug:. Whatever .......