FROGS

Fish, aquatic plants, amphibians, fountains and everything else pond related.
User avatar
Placido
Posts: 4059
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 10:17 pm
Location: west West-Midlands

Re: FROGS

Post by Placido » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:47 am

'Lurking' seems to be a major preoccupation amongst froggies; they do it very well.
There may be a late surge, Jacksparrow - bated breff .......

User avatar
Jacksparrow
Moderator
Posts: 3363
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: FROGS

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:26 pm

Placido wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:47 am
'Lurking' seems to be a major preoccupation amongst froggies; they do it very well.
There may be a late surge, Jacksparrow - bated breff .......
It turns out that they were lurking. Quite few out and about today. The rain showers were prompting them to leave the ponds occasionally. :)

User avatar
Placido
Posts: 4059
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 10:17 pm
Location: west West-Midlands

Re: FROGS

Post by Placido » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:48 am

:rolleyes: :laugh:

Milly
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 10:52 am

Re: FROGS

Post by Milly » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:27 pm

Just been clearing some of the winter debris from my home-made frog bowl. I know you're supposed to leave a certain amount, but the water is quite black and smells stagnant. Wondering whether it's ok or should I change the water. Have just topped it up with some water from my raised pond for the time being. Haven't seen any signs of life this year, so got a shock when I adjusted one of the stones and a big frog flipped over and disappeared into the murk, so at least he seems to like the conditions.

User avatar
Jacksparrow
Moderator
Posts: 3363
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: FROGS

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:18 pm

Milly wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:27 pm
Just been clearing some of the winter debris from my home-made frog bowl. I know you're supposed to leave a certain amount, but the water is quite black and smells stagnant. Wondering whether it's ok or should I change the water. Have just topped it up with some water from my raised pond for the time being. Haven't seen any signs of life this year, so got a shock when I adjusted one of the stones and a big frog flipped over and disappeared into the murk, so at least he seems to like the conditions.
If the water is black and stagnant it is best to replace it. Rain water would be ideal. While the bowl is empty give it a scrub out.
I am constantly surprised by my Frogs appearing unannounced anywhere in the garden. They seem to freeze when they sense danger and then leave it until the last second to escape. :frog: :bolt:

Milly
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 10:52 am

Re: FROGS

Post by Milly » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:10 am

Thanks Jacksparrow. Will go for the clean-up. Not sure what to do about the resident frog though. Do I just remove the stones he hides under and hope he leaves? Bit worried about scaring him off for good.

User avatar
Jacksparrow
Moderator
Posts: 3363
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: FROGS

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:22 pm

Milly wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:10 am
Thanks Jacksparrow. Will go for the clean-up. Not sure what to do about the resident frog though. Do I just remove the stones he hides under and hope he leaves? Bit worried about scaring him off for good.
Your frog will find somewhere else to hide and won't go far if it is happy with your location. It is only at this time of year they spend much time in the pond. It is quite likely to go walkabout soon soon.

User avatar
Jacksparrow
Moderator
Posts: 3363
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: FROGS

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:58 pm

Some minor twitching from the earliest batch of spawn was visible today. It'll probable be a week before I have free swimming tadpoles.
On a more somber note I only have about half the amount of spawn compared to last year and on the whole the weather has been better :(

User avatar
Butterfly
Posts: 498
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:45 am

Re: FROGS

Post by Butterfly » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:01 pm

Jacksparrow wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:58 pm
On a more somber note I only have about half the amount of spawn compared to last year and on the whole the weather has been better :(
I wonder what made the drop in numbers? :unsure:

User avatar
Jacksparrow
Moderator
Posts: 3363
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: FROGS

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:03 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:01 pm
Jacksparrow wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:58 pm
On a more somber note I only have about half the amount of spawn compared to last year and on the whole the weather has been better :(
I wonder what made the drop in numbers? :unsure:
:shrug: Plenty of frogs so I can only think there was an imbalance in the sexes.

Post Reply