WOOD PIGEONS

All your bird talk in here
Jacksparrow

Re: WOOD PIGEONS

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:13 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:55 pm
Yeah that's what I thought but can't be sure :confused: . And I don't know if and how contagious it is, but I haven't seen any other bird with any health problem, and he's been hanging around for more than a week. Who would you report it to anyway? :unsure:
If I was in your position I think I would ask the BTO(British Trust for Ornithology) They have a special interest in avian diseases. I think they will answer your questions and will be interested to see your photo.
https://www.bto.org/about-bto/contact-us

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:58 pm

Thanks Jack, I will contact them tomorrow and see what they say :) . I feel sorry for that bird :(

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:04 pm

I sent an email to BTO with that picture of the sick woodie and got a prompt reply that, even though its difficult to confirm without physically seeing the bird, they think its avian pox. They also suggested that I log the case with GWH which I did :nod: . They replied very quickly too! They were both very efficient :yes: . They again confirmed the same thing and said that its lucky that usually avian pox is not fatal :) . There is a lot of tips about hygiene and things, all of which I already follow so all is fine on that front.
I haven't seen the sick woodie today, lets see how things go :)

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:32 pm

Well done butterfly. Did they say if it would clear up or not.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:58 pm

Thanks Willpar :) , they didn't say if it will clear up but they mentioned that the growth may regress with time. But thats in milder cases, so I sent them another email asking that question, if they can answer at all and if possible to tell by just looking at that picture.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu May 02, 2019 8:06 pm

In my neighbour's garden a Woody has ended up on the ground. It is not easy to work out why but there are a fair few feather about. It disappeared mid-afternoon so I don't know if it recovered or it became cat food. :(

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri May 03, 2019 8:13 am

Sadly, these things are hardly ever satisfactorily explained :(.
I have one too - it has a problem with its left wing (so I called it Corbyn). It can fly but takes off like a swan so I confess I'm feeding it on the sly in the hope that it will get better :unsure:.

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:54 pm

I've seen blackbirds do it, and sparrows, and even blue tits but today I saw a wood pigeon doing it: spreading a wing on the grass to catch the maximum amount of warmth from the blazing :unsure: sun. Every now and then it would swap wings with a luxuriant stretch and roll.
I was almost tempted to join in 'cos it was a beauuuutiful day.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:00 pm

Placido wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:54 pm
I've seen blackbirds do it, and sparrows, and even blue tits but today I saw a wood pigeon doing it: spreading a wing on the grass to catch the maximum amount of warmth from the blazing :unsure: sun. Every now and then it would swap wings with a luxuriant stretch and roll.
I was almost tempted to join in 'cos it was a beauuuutiful day.
I have seen Woodies spreading their wings to catch the rays also their cousins the Collared Doves. :nod:

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:13 am

There you are then, that proves it :).