WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

All your bird talk in here
Willpar

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Post by Willpar » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:41 am

Yay, my first for several winters. Had a female Blackcap come in this morning. Was in the hawthorn. Did have some food. Wondered what it was at first, but got the binos and could get a good ID.

Placido

Post by Placido » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:15 pm

:clap: Great spot, Willpar !! Very good.
I haven't seen one for a few years - used to be regular winter visitors.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:22 pm

Willpar wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:41 am
Yay, my first for several winters. Had a female Blackcap come in this morning. Was in the hawthorn. Did have some food. Wondered what it was at first, but got the binos and could get a good ID.
That's so nice :D , they are such lovely birds. My blackcap is around every day, really pleased to see that he became a regular on the feeders :nod: . I think I saw a female as well, but can't be sure because they are not as distinguished looking as the males. I have a couple of dunocks feeding every day as well, and a lovely little wren :love: .
I saw my starling with a bad leg again today, still flying and feeding with the group :clap: , but saw it a couple of times alone on the feeders, eating when there is no others around. I think its because with them its always a mayhem, and maybe it needs a bit of quiet to feed because it has problems balancing on one leg. Bless him/her Image . I really hope it stays strong Image

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:58 pm

My next door neighbour's tree had five magpies in it this morning. I've checked the little rhyme and it is Five for Silver. Why does he get all the luck? :(

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:00 am

Because he's a wonderful, caring person .....

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:46 am

Two id`s today worthy of note.
1, a wren in the hedge came up to the feeder in the hawthorn. Not seen one in a while.
2, and I have never seen this before, a one legged starling came onto the feeder. A whole leg was missing, not just a part. Kept its balance by fluttering its wings to start with. Is managing very well considering.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:22 pm

I officially have a resident wren :nod: , she/he is around every day and I can see it feeding as I type :D. Such a gorgeous little bird, loves exploring the garden, I saw it hopping around and checking every plant and bush and pot :nod:
I'm amazed that you have one legged starling Willpar :eek: , what is it with starlings and their legs these days?!
I'm so pleased to report that I saw my starling with a bad leg again this morning :clap: . I really hope and pray for that bird, I have a soft spot for it :)

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:19 pm

Just before 3pm this afternoon, I noticed a tiny bird in the hawthorn. Got out the binos to get a closer look. Was a long tailed tit. Went and fed on some suet. Not had one of those in a while.

Edit: just had two more long tailed tits come in for some suet.

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:24 pm

Wren and LTTs - great news, Willpar !!
Wonder why sturks seem to be prone to leg trouble - didn't Bikey have the same problem with a sturky visitor way back ?

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:38 pm

Believe you are right placi. He did have an injured one that he fed away from the flock.