SPARROWHAWK

All your bird talk in here
Jacksparrow

SPARROWHAWK

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:33 pm

My Sprawk is a canny bird. He varies his hunting ground by visiting a couple of time per day for about a week then disappearing off the scene for about a month before returning. In his absence my garden birds build up a confidence in the safety levels and are taken by surprise when he returns. I am in the two visits per day phase at present but I have yet to see him make a kill though there are plenty of juveniles to catch out. :(

Jacksparrow

Re: SPARROWHAWK

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:03 pm

Just after 6 o'clock this evening one of my Blackbirds started twitting loudly. I tend to ignore them at first as they've cried "wolf" plenty of time before. :rolleyes: The twitting continued and was suddenly joined by a shrieking noise which got me on my feet and outside to investigate. Down on the lawn the Sprawk had one of my Blackies pinioned and about to finish it off :eek: . At the sight of me the Sprawk took flight without his prize and the lucky victim disappeared at speed into my bramble. Whether there were any lasting injuries I have yet to discover.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:08 pm

I managed a head count of my usual Blackies today and all were present. There was one looking a little shell shocked I thought but that could be my imagination.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:44 pm

My Sparrowhawk returned today after an absence of about two weeks :( The garden was completely devoid of birds at 8 o'clock this morning which is always a sign he's back but this evening he came twice within 20 minutes. I think the second visit was successful(for him) and a goldfinch fledgling may have been the unlucky victim. :(

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:03 pm

Sorry to hear that, Jacksparrow - tough but necessary I s'pose.
Good and bad :goodevil:

Placido

Post by Placido » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:03 pm

One on the lawn today, quarry between its talons. A speug I think.
Watched it - looking round checking whether my back lawn was a safe place to enjoy lunch. Pretty sure it hadn't caught the speug there. Decided to find a more secluded spot and flew waaaaay up into one of the tall trees over the back where I lost sight of it.
Strangely enough, my usual gang were back in 10 mins.

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:08 am

Ooo - what a surprise, Placi :unsure:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:06 pm

Placido wrote:One on the lawn today, quarry between its talons. A speug I think.
Watched it - looking round checking whether my back lawn was a safe place to enjoy lunch. Pretty sure it hadn't caught the speug there. Decided to find a more secluded spot and flew waaaaay up into one of the tall trees over the back where I lost sight of it.
Strangely enough, my usual gang were back in 10 mins.
I think that would indicate that the victim was caught elsewhere as a successful attack in my garden usually upsets the other residents for a couple of hours.

Biker

Post by Biker » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:32 pm

Was stood in the garden this morning, putting food out and topping up water. Old Sturk was hiding in the Ivy. Really (honestly) jumped out of my skin when every bird on every rooftop in the area took to the air (except Old Sturk, who stayed put). It was an amazing sound. Seconds later, a male Sparrowhawk flew about 10ft over my head. The sound of that was pretty amazing too. The bird wasn't chasing anything, just doing a fly by. It was a bit like watching one of the Red Arrows flying over. Amazing experience that I doubt will ever be repeated!! :)

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:31 am

Wow :D :yes: :flying: