Government sanctions culls.

For everything nature based that doesn't fit anywhere else!
Jacksparrow

Re: Government sanctions culls.

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:09 pm

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here in an effort to see what possible benefit there is in the slaughter of otherwise harmless birds.
Applicant's Name:- Blogsville Air Terminal. Request permission to cull Black Headed Gulls. Reason. Nesting on the roof of the Terminal attacking ground staff and have been involved with near miss airstrikes will incoming passenger aircraft. It is feared one may get sucked into a turbofan causing an engine failure.
Nature England's Dilemma:- Refuse permission and risk getting blamed if one of the birds either harms personnel or causes a catastrophic failure resulting in the loss of an aircraft and it's passengers.
Grant Permission and it all becomes someone else's problem
:shrug:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:30 pm

"Nesting on the roof of the Terminal" - and they can't remove their nest (when empty) and close the places that they use for nesting? Its not acceptable to kill wildlife for someone's error when designing the airport instead of rectifying the mistake :grumpy:
As for near miss airstrikes with incoming passenger aircraft, there are devices that are used already as a non lethal bird deterrent around the airports, they are a type of laser beam (can't find the link of the article I read about it a while ago). In this day and age, there must be ways that are not inhumane to control our co-habiting with wild life.
And I didn't realise wrens and robins are such dangerous birds!
Sorry, I'm just venting :D . Really annoyed with this :( :weep:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:17 am

Can be a tough call butterfly. In the case of some robins, they get into supermarkets, and that's where the problem starts. Food contamination is a public health concern. But they cant kill it until other avenues have been exhausted. So the same may apply to the blue tit and wrens.
Down here in the westcountry a ladies Yorkshire terrier was killed by herring gulls out in the garden, as there was a nest on her roof.
Also when they built the eden project down in cornwall I went there when it opened. There was a robin inside that was not welcome, they let it be known and if it could not be trapped and released then they would resort to lethal force. Such a public outcry that they let it stay. They said that they wanted to release tropical birds inside and the robin could spread disease. Don't know if they ever got tropical birds to release.

But this is what happens when wildlife comes into conflict with us humankind. Am not excusing it, but there has to be another way.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:36 pm

I truly believe people do things like this just because they don't care, not because there is no other way. That's whats upsetting, the lack of care for other residents on this planet, and they have as much right to live and prosper as we do.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:26 pm

That's what I keep saying butterfly, we don't own the planet, we have to share it with other living creatures. We are not masters, in fact we could learn a lot from wildlife, but we take the superior attitude.

Biker

Post by Biker » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:57 am

For info : Natural England have advised all wildlife hospitals that the treatment of grey squirrel, muntjac deer and Canadian geese will be illegal from March 2019. Basically, if handed in as sick, injured or orphaned the general public must be advised that the animal/bird will be 'put down'. I doubt that many people are aware of this and wildlife hospitals are likely to become the front line for complaints.

It is never an easy decision to end a life due to medical complications, but it is going to be far harder to end the life of an animal or bird that wildlife hospitals know they can save.

Regardless of the political/environmental decisions, it is going to be a very difficult time for wildlife hospital staff who are dedicated to saving lives.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:18 pm

I heard that Biker and I find the though of it distressing. Helping an animal, any animal, should not be made a crime :no:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:33 pm

I cannot believe any edict issued by Nature England could be effectively "policed". I suppose it is all down to the conscience of the Vet.

Biker

Post by Biker » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:30 pm

:wave2: Hi Jacksparra ! Wildlife hospitals will have to keep records and NE say that they will 'carry out random audits which could result in the closure of hospitals not complying'. :drill:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:24 pm

Biker wrote::wave2: Hi Jacksparra ! Wildlife hospitals will have to keep records and NE say that they will 'carry out random audits which could result in the closure of hospitals not complying'. :drill:
I see. :(
A little imagination is called for I think :scratch:
Due to a clerical error a Muncjac was incorrectly filed as a Fallow Deer while a Canada Goose became confused with a Greylag. An easy mistake anyone could have made :nod: