Squirrel

All the other creepy crawlies and animals that interact with your garden and the countryside
Butterfly

Re: Squirrel

Post by Butterfly » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:12 pm

Jacksparrow wrote:
Butterfly wrote:I'm getting fed up with this squirrel, it keeps raiding the feeders and jumping all over the place, scaring all the birds :weep:
You may need to withdraw the bird feeding for a while in the hope it will go elsewhere. They are very persistent while there is a food reward for their efforts. :(
I've been away for 2 weeks, so the food was not on offer for most of that time. It took a couple of days for the birds to realise that the feeding station is back in action. I really don't want to stop feeding them again, that would be so confusing for them :( . Bloody thing! :smack:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:53 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Jacksparrow wrote:
Butterfly wrote:I'm getting fed up with this squirrel, it keeps raiding the feeders and jumping all over the place, scaring all the birds :weep:
You may need to withdraw the bird feeding for a while in the hope it will go elsewhere. They are very persistent while there is a food reward for their efforts. :(
I've been away for 2 weeks, so the food was not on offer for most of that time. It took a couple of days for the birds to realise that the feeding station is back in action. I really don't want to stop feeding them again, that would be so confusing for them :( . Bloody thing! :smack:
I suspected you may say that. If the pesky squirrel is frightening the birds it won't be long before they look elsewhere. There is no easy answer.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:59 pm

I saw 2 young ones today in my garden!! :grumpy: . I watched them exploring, and they started coming towards my garden door, which is all glass, so they couldn't see me standing there watching because of the reflection. So I waited for them to come really close .... and than I opened the door with as much noise as I could master and I jumped out! They almost had a heart attack :rofl: . Totally freaked out and run away with a speed of light :nod:
But you are right Jack, the birds might decide its too much hassle dealing with a pesky squirrel and go elsewhere :( . I will wait though, and try and discourage the squirrel first, and if that fails I will take food away from them and possibly buy a pellet gun and shoot them :smack:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:41 pm

I'm exaggerating of course, I couldn't shoot/harm any animal :)

Placido

Post by Placido » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:01 am

A treerat :eek:. First of the season. The back lawn is as yet unremodelled (unremodelled ??? :shrug: ) unlike the previous 2 years.
I forecast A Mild Winter :rolleyes:.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:05 pm

Rest assured your lawn will be remodelled now Placido :nod: . Mine has been for a while now, I have few tree rats around, I think it might be a family :shrug: . Two of them had an argument today, a lot of screaming and jumping up in the air went on :rolleyes:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:45 pm

Placido wrote:A treerat :eek:. First of the season. The back lawn is as yet unremodelled (unremodelled ??? :shrug: ) unlike the previous 2 years.
I forecast A Mild Winter :rolleyes:.
I think we are pretty much past the lawn excavation period. The nuts have been gathered and cached and all they have to do is remember where they left them :scratch: :squirrel:

Placido

Post by Placido » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:51 am

Much heartened by your wise words, Jacksparrow :yes:.
I eagerly anticipate the warm winter to come :rolleyes:.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:14 pm

When I came back from my trip I saw that all the coconut suets went missing, and I left about 10 of them! And its not that they were empty, they were gone. Clearly, the little thieves stole them :wife: . They bit through the rope that is attached to them, and which I used to tie them. And I had to chase them few times when I saw them doing it again :( . So I bought from Amazon those metal wire baggage/key tags and used them to tie the coconuts. And it worked! :D
I had fun watching the little thief battling for ages to take it away. Unsuccessfully! :haha:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:24 pm

I saw my resident squirrel sitting on the garden fence happily munching on an apple, I guess its trying to be healthy :rolleyes: